𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟐𝟖

We wish you a Merry Christmas,

and a happy New Year!

I sing at the top of my lungs, careless if anyone can hear me. After Mary's leaving, I have done my regular duties so that the place is clean in case he decides to show up. And of course, I did it for me, so that I can spend Christmas at peace.

I have decided to make some snowman biscuits and roast chicken. I have never been a lover of cooking, but I believe if I follow the instructions everything will come up good.

At least, that is what I hope.

I read the book careful not to skip any step and I start organizing on the table all the ingredients needed: 100g of sugar, vanilla extract, 275g of plain flour, four eggs, food colourin-

There is no food colouring here. What do I do now? Should I go and ask him if I can go to the grocery?

But Mary told me clearly not to disturb him.

I scrub my head, nervously. Ideas come to my mind, but none of them are legal.

Unless... I can ask Anne! She always has everything in the kitchen.

I go upstairs to grab the Palace keys and my shoes, for then walking towards the exit door.

I try to reckon how to arrive downstairs... elevator! I move the red curtains and click the button, I get in, and press the button. As I wait patiently for it to stop moving, I pray The Lord will not notice my absence.

However, how can he? He disappeared in the air.

As soon as the elevator doors open, I throw myself into it and click the button zero to get to the floor. I notice my hands shaking a little, as anxiety travels through my body. It has been a while since I haven't seen the girls, and I am afraid they will not welcome me as they used to.

As doors open, I get sucked into chaos. Kids running and screaming madly, groups of well-dressed aristocracies scattered everywhere careless about the childrens behaviour. I can glimpse Ariana in a corner, laughing loudly at some man's joke while he touches her waist.

Disgusting.

On the opposite side there is Mr. And Mrs. Rockchild in their usual steady and human-less posture, gathered in a circle with some other members and, from their extreme seriousness, they must be discussing something quite private and serious.

Finally, I meet the girls with my eyes. All of them seem extremely busy and stressed out, running from one place to another, tidying everything up. Anne's face is extremely pale, as if she is about to throw up; without mentioning Claire, who is sweating from head to toe. Unexpectedly, Lucy is completely calm and serene, walking slowly from the kitchen to the room with the plates on her hands, rotating her waist as if she is listening to some melody.

Why can't I be as careless as she is?

I walk towards the kitchen in the fastest possible way, in order not to be noticed by everyone present. Thankfully, everyone seems quite distracted to look around and see a Avelyn walking like a thief with wide eyes.

As I get to the kitchen, I find myself face to face with Jonathan, "Avelyn..?"

My pupils get widen as they get in contact with his beauty. My brain cells forgot how handsome he is actually, as if I haven't seen him for decades. His bright smile and eyes are always as remarkable and the first time I saw them. He is well-dressed in a blue suit and tie and all perfumed until his toe.

"Indeed." I smile.

"How have you been? And most importantly, what are doing here?" He wrinkles his brows.

"Firstly, I am alive, so I'm okay, secondly, I needed some ingredients from the girls' kitchen."

"Oh, okay. Well, I'm happy to know you're okay. I have tried to find you upstairs, but it was like you were nowhere." He explains, confused.

"Actually, that's the only place where I've been." I giggle, finding this amusing. Now that I think about it, how is it that I have never seen him upstairs? As far as I remember, he works for The Lord.

"Well, I hope we can meet sometime and have a chat." He smiles brightly at me.

"Sure, why not." I smile back.

"Ave! Is that you?" My eyes widen as I find Lucy right behind me.

"Lucy! Oh my god, I am so happy to see you." I jump into her arms, swiping mine around her body.

"You've got no idea how much I've been missing you." She claims, hugging my whole body tightly.

"Me too." My heart feels so safe right now. I have missed hugs, almost forgot about how good it feels to be loved.

"How do they treat you there? You seem to have more wrinkles." She laughs with a happy tear falling down her face.

"Pretty good, I have a good friend up there. Her name is Mary." I inform her.

"The old lady?" Jonathan appears back from the corner.

"Yes, she is quite old. Do you know her?" I ask, curious.

"Not really, but she seems pretty friendly with.. with him." He whispers, afraid to be heard by someone.

"Why is he such a mystery?" Lucy asks, furrowing her eyebrows.

I take a long sigh. Everytime he crosses my mind, goosebumps run through my skin. "This is to find out, yet. However, he seems a normal guy, just like all of us."

"Wait, have you met him? In person?" Jonathan asks me, with his big blue eyes widen at me.

"Yes, I did, but just spoken a few times. Nothing special." I answer, scrolling my shoulders, but from their reaction it isnt a common thing to do.

"OH MY GOSH!" Jonathan and Lucy shout at the same time, covering their mouth in shock.

"Shh! No need to react like that!" I exclaim, worried someone could find out I am here.

"Avelyn Lothbrok, he has never shown up or talked to anyone, if not Mary! I barely even seen him, and I work for him!" Jonathan whispers, with surprised eyes.

I move my eyes back and forth to them, but still confused about their shocked reaction, " I guess he only talks to the maids."

They turn their head, giving me an annoyed look, "I bet there is something more, don't you think?" Lucy highlights.

"You know, Lucy and I are still investigating on the books, but nothing seems to come up from them." Jonathan exclaims.

"Are you out of your mind? You should stop! What if they find out, or if he finds out." I say, worried. I had no idea they were still continuing the research. Especially after what happened last time.

"We are sure there is something they all hide and would do anything to prevent it to be known, so no, we aren't out of our minds." Lucy whispers.

"I have tried to find something when I am upstairs, but I never manage to have access to his office or private room." Jonathan says, looking on the floor, thinking.

Suddenly both their eyes turn to me, as if they have just found the solution. "You!" They exclaim in unison.

"No way." I immediately back up. There is no way I am going to risk the little peace I have found.

"You are the only chance we have! C'mon, Avelyn." Lucy begs me, with her enchanting eyes.

"I cannot do this anymore! I almost risked my life last time!"

"We will have your back, you're not alone. We're begging you, Ave." She takes my hand, squeezing it tightly.

I stare at them, with begging eyes. A part of is frightened to find out what they may be hiding, but the other part is what has been waiting for so long.

"I see what I can do."