𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟐

I have tried to empty my mind from everything that happened last night, but no chance. Terrible thoughts had been haunting me all night, giving me no space for sleep, and causing me an endless headache as soon I get up. The sun seems missing this morning, replaced by gray clouds.  I suppose some rain will be visiting us.

Massaging my temples, I drag my legs towards the bathroom, ready for a relaxing shower. Thank God, the girls are still sleeping, so I can have the bathroom all by myself. With my clean uniform in my hands, I walk in and I let hot water flowing on the tank, before getting in. Morning showers are such a good therapy for me. They help me to relax my nerves and gaining energy to face another hard-working day.

However, my mind has decided to make of this moment a nightmare. The heavy steps echo in my head, just like they did last night, and fear flood my body again. I've tried to convince myself that no one was behind that door spying us, but I barely believe myself. What if Jonathan is right? What if it was him? I still have no idea why everyone takes him, but it seems like being afraid of him is the only choice I have.

As I hear the sound of steps and doors opening, I get out of the shower, and I start dressing up. "Avelyn, please move your ass! My bladder is full!" I hear Lucy's voice outside the door.

"Why don't you go to the other bathroom?" I ask, loudly.

"Claire has already occupied it. Please, get out of I'll pee here!" She exclaims.

I give my hair in a quick and messy bun, before opening the door and facing a desperate Lucy, with her hair messed up in all directions and her hands on her bladder. "Oh, thank God! Now I can pee." She slams the door, leaving me speechless. "Good morning to you too, Lucy." I mutter to myself, before heading to the kitchen.

As usual, I make some pancakes enough to feed each of us, and a green tea for myself. Once they are cooked, I dispose them on a plate on the table, and I sit down, waiting for them. Claire is the first one to get in the kitchen still with a sleepy face.

"Oh, thank you. I'm starving." She exclaims, yawning like a lion.

"Claire, your opened mouth is the least thing I want to see in the morning." I complain.

"Then don't look at it." She shrugs her shoulders, and starts eating with her eyes closed.

We turn around at the sound of heavy steps slithering on the floor. "I bet all I've got it's Lucy" I say, and here she is, with her crossed eyes, staring at us with a tired look.

"I want to die." She mutters, before reaching the fridge and taking out some juice.

"That's the right spirit to start the day." Claire exclaims.

"Just thinking that I have to clean up the basement, I want to bury myself alive." Lucy cries. I'd love to comfort her, but I've been there and no comfort can overcome the dreadful fear that it transmits.

"Will any of you come with me?" She asks, hopeful.

"No way." We chorus.

"What kind of friends are you?" She exclaims, frustrated. " I'll ask Anne, then. She may turn out to be kinder than you."

"Speaking of Anne, where is she?" I ask, suspicious. She is always the first one to wake up, ready for work an hour earlier.

"She may be still sleeping." Lucy claims.

I get up, sipping the last drop of tea. "I'll go check on her."

I walk down the little corridor, and I stop when I face Anne's door. I notice it's ajar, so I take a look from the little space, and I see an immobile figure covered up on the bed, snuffing and snoring endlessly. I wonder what she may have done all night to be so tired. Has she hoed the ground all night? I giggle at my ridiculous thought. I open the door widely, and I walk in on my tip toes afraid, but the loud and sudden creaking has woken her up.

She turns around with a sleepy face, but as soon as she faces me, she widens her eyes in a hasty manner, as though she has just seen a ghost. "Anne? Are you okay?" I ask, worried.

"Uhm..", she takes the blankets off, "yeah, I suppose. What time is it?" She asks, bewildered.

"It's half past six." At my words, she gasps, jumping out of the bed.

"What? SHIT!" Her sudden screech takes me by surprise.

She runs to the bathroom, blathering by herself, before getting back to the room, opening the closet, taking out the uniform and running back to the bathroom. All of these in one second.

I blink a couple of times, swiping away all the confusion from my head, before heading back to the kitchen.

"Now she's awake." I affirm, sighing.

"We've heard." Lucy says with her mouth full of pancakes.

*

Never in my life I've ever thought I could feel so much hate towards a person, but Miss Ariana has just proved me the contrary. It's been two hours since I've been helped her o change her closet with new designer clothes she has just bought. Actually, I've been doing it by myself, while she has been trying all of them, admiring her beauty.

"Mirror, mirror on the wall, who is the fairest of them all?" She sings, bragging.

"God help this stupid girl." I mutter under my breath.

"Did you say something?" She asks, with her unbearable squalling.

"No, Miss."

"Good for you." She exclaims, before continuing staring with glinting eyes at her reflection. "Tonight I'll be seeing The Lord! I can't contain my excitement."

At her words, my body petrifies. Did she just say LORD?! I swallow, suddenly feeling my throat dry. Maybe she's referring to another Lord, even though I find it hard to believe. Who would name himself like that in the twenty-first century?

"May I ask who is he?" I try to ask, trying to sound more indifferent as possible.

"I shouldn't tell you" she says firmly, "but, side you're just a maid, it won't cause any damage." Oh, if you only knew, I say mentally.

"He's the most powerful and handsome man that exists in this World. We're kind of related, but who cares. Even though tonight it will be just a business meeting, I still hope we will look at me stunned by my beauty." They are related?! Gosh, she's crazier than I've thought.

"What's his name?"

Suddenly, she turns her head towards me, with a horrified expression. Did I just say swear? "Nobody is allowed to know his name, except aunt Elizabeth and uncle John."

I stare back at her, surprised at how much information she's giving me. "I'm sorry." I mutter.

Before getting back to my work, I glimpse a sorrow expression on her face. "Why would you be? If only you knew all the things I have to live with, then you should feel sorry for me."