𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟑𝟖

Thunders echo through the windows and walls, with a raging rain hitting the whole Palace. This is how I feel inside.

Rage, pain, and confusion invade my heart, and there is nothing I can do about it. I thought I was strong. I thought I could handle all these feelings that life put you in front of most of the times.

I have just had the confirmation I'm not the person I thought to be. A warrior.

I look at my reflection on the mirror at the left wall of my room, and all I see is a coward, who didn't face the devil right when she had the chance.

I run away. I let fear win over me, giving him the satisfaction to control me.

But now, Oh dear James King Rockchild.. I think through myself, now it's my turn. You played enough with me, and my family. Now it's my turn to show you who I really am.

Now it's time to show them what I'm capable of.

My thoughts get interrupted at the sound of a familiar voice. "Hey, sweetheart, how are you feeling?"

Mary's eyes scrutinise me from up and down, checking all part of my body to check I am okay. I don't know what would have happened if she didn't come.

"I'm alright, thanks Mary." I whisper, laying down on my back. My head is terribly hurting, as if someone is constantly throwing rocks at my brain.

"You don't look alright at all. Let me check you out." She gets close to me, with the intent of cuddling me, but I back up.

She looks surprised at my sudden move, and I feel immediately guilty for my instinctive movement.

"Sorry, Mary. I didn't mean to. I just-"

"No need to apologise, I totally understand." She interrupts me, while taking a sit next to me, leaving some space between us not to invade my space.

"I just.." I sigh before continuing, "I don't understand why am I going through all of this. I never asked for it."

"I know. This is why I warned you to be careful and stay at your place. This place, this family, hides many secrets and it's better not to know them." She looks down. Her eyes get sadden and I can see a slide of pain running through them.

"Mary, who is he? Why is he so dangerous? I need answers, I need to know why he treated me like that. Is there something wrong with me?" I cry out.

She swipes some tears away, and lifts her head up looking deeply at my desperate eyes. "I think you need to know something, Avelyn. Something that may shock you, but I think it's time for you to know seen the circumstances."

"Mary, what?" I ask, already shocked by her sudden warning look and tight posture. Her muscles gets contracted and her hands start shaking. I have never seen Mary in this state.

What do I have to know? Does it have to do with my family? I am sure she knows something they hide from me.

Something he hides from me.

"You are not just a maid, my dear." Her words hit me right in the face.

"What do you mean? I am just a maid."

"No, you're more than that." Her voice gets weaker at every single words.

"I don't understand, Mary." I sit down next to her, trying to decode her thoughts.

"I shouldn't tell you. I'm sorry, my dear. Everything will come at the right time."

"No, wait! Mary!"

I try to stop her, but she leaves before I could grab her hand. This is the last thing I could have expected to happen today.

What did she mean by that? Who am I, then?

I need answers. Answers that no one can give me.

I put my shoes on and run downstairs, looking for Mary, but she seems nowhere.

"Mary?" I search and call her, but nothing. She seems to have disappeared all of a sudden. She can't hide from me longer, we both live in here.

Darkness invades the living room, as the whole palace, and decide to run away before I meet him.

But where? I look around, trying to come up with an idea, but nothing.

Until..

"The girls!"

I start walking towards the lift, conscious enough I am not allowed to.

Conscious enough he will find it out.

Conscious enough I will risk it all.