𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟔

His ocean eyes are pointed at mine, immovable, afraid to expose too much with a simple movement. No one blinks. The only audible noise is the water flowing from the tap.

He signs and looks down, incapable of maintaining my gaze. I know he wants to tell me, I can tell from his eyes, nervous posture and heavy breath.

He's fighting it so hard.

"Avelyn, I can't," he pauses taking some time to find the right words,"I can't tell, I'm sorry."

"Why?" I ask, and his steps stop for the second time, "whatever it is, it won't leave this room, believe me." I say, desperately hoping he gives in.

All my hopes fall apart when he utters, " it's better if I don't. See you, Avelyn." He leaves me speechless, with my last chance ruined and my hope in a thousand pieces. He was my last and only hope, and I have just let it slip away. I stare at the marble floor, convincing myself to accept the reality and to give up. Trying to know secrets you are not allowed to know can only take you to destruction and sorrow, just as Anne told me.

Nevertheless, my stubborn curiosity keeps sparking inside me at the idea of discovering what they are hiding.

Suddenly, my brain is hit by a brilliant but risky idea, giving chills to my whole body. If Jonathan doesn't want to tell me, then I'm forced to find out by myself. I place the apron on the hanger inside the little closet, and I follow Jonathan silently, who is still visible on the huge and endless stairs. I take courage and I go behind his steps, being careful not to be seen.

Luckily, I manage not to be noticed by the family who seems to be in an intriguing conversation; the girls have the same sleepy look as always, and Anne too seems to be lost in inscrutable thoughts.

As I get to the stairs, I run silently like a ninja, with my heart beating so fast that I'm afraid it could be heard. As I get to the fifth floor, I see Jonathan's shadow going up. I stop for some seconds, letting him disappear out of my sight, so that he won't be able to see me. As soon as I hear his steps being far enough, I start travelling up the stairs with my head down, covering my whole body covered by the massive railing.

Even though it is not needed, since I'm small like a midget.

I stop walking when I get to the final stairs, and Mr. Rockchild's office appears in from of me, again. The door is ajar, and the desire of entering is immense but I stop myself, remembering my duty - to follow Jonathan.

Speaking of him, I realize I've lost him. I stand still, looking around and trying to find some sort of trace of him, but nothing. How could I lose him? He was just a few steps ahead of me. Suddenly, a distance cough catches my attention. I look around, trying to see where it came from; I travel down the hall, desperate to find a sign, but everything is clear and empty.

As I keep walking, a machine sound floods my ears. The elevator! I widen my eyes as soon as I remember it. How could I not think about it before? I walk towards the hidden door and I open it. I look around to see if anyone is there, and when I see that it's all clear, I go in. The elevator's button is red, showing that it's already occupied, so I wait impatiently.

I click the round button a million times, afraid to lose Jonathan again. The red color turns off, meaning that it's available, but no matter how many times I click it, the elevator doesn't make any sound. If I was in a different place, I would think it was blocked or broken, but these stupid things don't happen here. The Rockechilds don't tolerate mistakes from humans nor from machines, and I'm sure they have paid millions of dollars to make sure everything is safe and well-made.

Hopeless, I stare at my reflection at the little window on my left, stressing my neurons to find another plan, but all I get is nothing. "Come on, Avelyn. Keep thinking, keep thinking." I motivate myself.

I close my eyes, taking some deep breaths to find balance. When I open them, they randomly meet the red curtain on the elevator corner. It looks just like a typical curtain with norhing unusual, except one tiny detail.

On its right, there is a protrusion.

And that takes me to one simple thought: there is something behind it.

I get closer, taking little steps, afraid of what could possibly hide behind it. As I'm close enough, I move the curtain aside with a quick and rough gesture, and a door shows up. How many other doors are hidden in this Palace?

The door's wood looks quite old, in contrast to the others, and this makes me even more suspicious. Without any hesitation, I open it.

For the millionth time, more stairs show up, and I cannot be more annoyed about it. All they are hiding behind it are some.. stairs? I sigh.

Maybe I should just leave.

Maybe they aren't hiding anything

Maybe I've imagined everything.

However, my intuition keeps insisting, pushing me in. I take some time, thinking about what would be the right thing to do. I know perfectly well what it would be: leaving and forgetting about it. Getting out of trouble and living my following days as I have done till today.

But, somehow, my legs start moving towards the stairs and disobeying the rational part of my brain. I let my intuition guide me, knowing how wrong this is, but what do I have to lose?

I travel up the white stairs in this strange white little staircase, until I get to an entrance. There is no door, just a large hole that gives away to a long, huge hall. Everything is white and full of dark paintings, representing dark figures. My eyes rest on one of them, analyzing each part of it: I've never seen something so frightening and obscure. The more I try to understand what it represents, the more it confuses me.

But of one thing I'm sure: they've been made manually and with extreme attention to the details, even though they are difficult to understand. Everything seems to represent chaos, sadness, opposition, madness and.. power.

"You! Again!" A familiar voice catches my attention. I turn my head toward it, and two men appear at the end of the hall.

Wordless, I stand still, afraid of moving a single muscle. When I pay more attention to them, I realize I've seen them before.

They are the guards I met in front of that door. I should have realized I would run into them since they monitor this floor.
They swiftly get close to me, not giving me any chance to retreat or escape.

I knew this would bring me to trouble. What was I thinking? That I could just get in and find what they are hiding safely and soundly?

So foolish of me.

"Haven't we had been clear the last time, Miss?" They are so close I feel suffocated.

"I.. I'm sorry..", I take deep breaths, " I promise I won't come here ever again."

I try to move to the exit, but a big and rough hand pushes me against the wall. "I don't think so." A smirk forms on the blonde guard, and his eyes scan my body hungrily. I move my widen eyes to the other brown haired guard, but he seems to be lost in staring at my.. breast.

Oh, God. I know exactly what they are about to do, and the fear I'm feeling right now is bigger than the one on the paintings. I feel a hand touching my waist aggressively, and I start to wiggle out of their arms, without accomplishment.

"C'mon. Maybe this time you will remember the rules. Let's just have some fun."

Paralyzed and powerless, I stop fighting back. The despair fades away, the fear vanishes away. I stand emotionless, just like an object, ready to be used and thrown away. This has been my nightmare since I was I child, and I've always prayed God to never let it happen. Hopeless, I let them touch my body, staring lifelessly at the black painting in front of me.

Unexpectedly, a deep and low voice makes them stop. It paralyzes them as they did to me. I manage to look at them, and all I see is pure fear depicted in their eyes and body; their hands are quivering, their neck vein pulses so hard I'm afraid it would explode.

"I dare you."