𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟐𝟎

As we enter November, the weather has turned very cold. Trees are swaying darkly in the distance and the sound of the wind whistles in the air till inside the Palace.

I travel up the stairs, fatigued with my luggage in the hands. It wasn't supposed to be so heavy, but apparently I underestimated the weight of my clothes. Finally, I get in front of the elevator and, as I walk in, I throw the luggage on the floor, taking deep breaths. Angel is right, my resistance is more than weak. I should start training myself, I can't keep going like this.

Suddenly, the doors open and I find myself in front of his black door. Carrying the luggage, I walk towards it and with my heart beating frenetically, I knock. The door opens right away and I'm taken by surprise finding an old, but beautiful and in a good shape lady, standing in front of me with a big smile painted on her thin lips.

Her shiny green eyes bright her bronze skin. Dark straight hair falls on her shoulders like cascade, kept up by a headband. For the first time in my life I have to look down at a person, (except Angel, but not for much long), since she is shorter than I. From her thin, but strong body, I deduce she has been working for years and she has maintained herself well and healthy.

I notice she wears a black uniform, in contrary of Anne, Claire, Lucy and I, who wears it white. It seems he likes black not just in himself, but in the other people too.

"You must be Avelyn! Please, come and free yourself from that heavy luggage." She invites me with a warm tone.

"Thank you. You must be Mary, right?" I ask, as I comfort myself in.

"You seem to have already been informed by someone." She fakes her rage, for then laughing hearty.

Not knowing what to say, I smile back at her. "C'mon, you must be tired. I will show your room." She exclaims, walking towards the stairs I was trying to analyze just two hours ago.

Silently, I start following her dragging my luggage with me. As these spiral marble staircase is enchanting, it's also difficult to travel. Dizziness hits me as I walk round and round for what seem hours. "Dear, are you okay?" I hear Mary's voice from up, and I deduce she is quite ahead of me.

Even an old lady is faster than I am.

Relieved, I sign as I step the last stair. Mary is right in front of me, still with that wide smile on her face. Why does she look like she has been living her best life here?

"Come." She softly orders me.

If downstairs luxury made my eyes shine at such beauty, now I am about to faint. I step in a long and wide hall, with empty, but luminous grey walls. As I walk through it, huge black doors appear on my both sides and each room has a number printed on it in gold. Roaming my eyes around, I notice three chandeliers just like the one downstairs, with the only difference that they are smaller.

"Here you go." Her steps stop as we get in front of a door on our left with the number 6 printed in the middle. She opens it and a darken, but brighten light hits my blue eyes.

I am about to step in, when my legs paralyze at the view I face for the third time today. An enormous room is lightened by a huge window right in front of me, and grey curtains contrast with the white walls. My right is occupied by a huge double bed. Its cream coloured lingerie glisten, making it look like too perfect to sleep on it. Two little black furniture are placed on both sides of the bed and each one has a gold little round lamp. In front of the bed there is a big mirror furniture who reflects the whole room.

"You're surprised, aren't you?" Her voice sounds like an echo to my ears, since I am too captured by the beauty of the room.

Finally, I get the courage to walk in. Leaving my luggage on the floor, I start exploring every inch of the room, unbelieving that this will be my room. My reflection suddenly appears on the furniture mirror and I regret having looked at it: dark bags are under my eyes, my skin looks dehydrated as if I haven't drunk water for weeks, without mentioning my hair who looks more like straw.

"Here there's the bathroom. I think you'll need a long shower." She says, as if she has read my mind.

Next to the furniture, another immense room appears, even though it's just a bathroom. A marble bah tub that looks more like a pool is built in the middle of the bathroom. A black marble sink is on my left, with golden faucet. Three little furniture are placed on the right corner: one has thousands of bath towels, another one has shampoos, body moisturizers and bubble baths, while the last one has all kind of creams and perfumes.

"Mary?"

"Yes, dear?" She asks, concerned.

"Are you sure this is my room?" I ask, still admiring every particular.

A relieved sign escapes her lips, "of course, my dear. This is all yours." I blink, trying to wake myself up, but fortunately nothing disappears.

"If you need me, my room is number 10. If I'm not there, then look up for me in the kitchen, downstairs." She says, before walking away.

"Wait!" I stop her, "when will I start working?"

"Oh, right. Good that you reminded me." She takes a piece of paper from her pocket and gives it to me, " it's written all your work schedule. This week I will guide you through everything, so that you will learn." Taking a look at my schedule, she adds, "I suppose I will see you tomorrow morning at 7 a.m. Is it alright for you?"

Did she really just ask me? Anne and her are totally different. "Yes, of course."

"Good. Now, use this day to relax and sleep. You need it." With a warm smile, she leaves the room.

*

If I knew before that working for him would benefit me so much, I would have begged for it the first day I put foot in here. Still in the hot vanilla perfumed water, I watch the grey sky and its clouds moving slowly. I have no idea what time it is, but I one thing I am sure: It's been two hours since I am immersed in the bath tub.

Never in my life I have relaxed myself as much as I am doing right now, and at the idea that I have a whole room, that looks like Ariana's, just for me, it excites me like a five years old baby. Privacy is priceless for me. Everytime I have got some free moments, I spend it by myself reading, chilling or just doing nothing and looking outside the window.

Right now I feel like I have achieved everything I have ever wanted, even though I am still stuck in here working as a maid. I sign, thrown again in that sorrow state. This job is holding me from achieving the freedom I desire so intensely.

I go underwater, trying to send these thoughts away. I want to enjoy this peaceful moment, because tomorrow will be a new start and I need to gain more energy possible for this change.

A/N

Hello everyone!

Hope you are all doing fine! Here in my city we are recovering from Covid-19, thankfully! What about your city?
Ihave to inform you guys that I have created a group on Discord about this book. If you'd like to join, the link is on my website! :)

All the love,

B.x