Chapter 5: Trying to Move On

Author's Note: Hello loves! I know I haven't updated in forever, but here's a chapter I finally managed to squeeze out. I haven't had much of a chance to proofread or double check for inconsistencies; if you notice any please point them out and I'll correct them right away. I promise I'll try to update more, don't give up on me! Much love to everyone.

__________

"Where have you been, girly? I haven't had anyone to gossip with in days! Besides Derek I mean, and he's the worst secret keeper on the planet."

You turn and receive Penelope's crushing hug, almost stumbling backwards as she launches herself at you. "Oof! Hey yourself, Pen."

She holds you at arm's length and searches your face, her own face filled with concern. "Hotch said you were sick. Are you okay now? You want some tea?"

She's the sweetest person on the planet. I wish I could talk to her about what's really wrong.

"I'm good, I promise. Just a bad stomach bug. I'm all better now."

"Well good, because this place was not the same without you. I was bored out of my gourd."

You chuckle. "Hate to disappoint ya Pen, but hard to collect any gossip when I'm laying in bed all alone." Except I was with Aaron. That'd be some pretty hot gossip, I'm sure.

As if your thought had summoned him, Hotch comes around the corner and scowls when he sees you. Aw, shit.

"Y/N, I told you to take another couple days. I know you're still feeling under the weather." He chides you. "You should be home, resting."

"Sitting at home alone only made me feel worse. I need to be here, getting my mind off things."

"Getting your mind off a stomach bug?" Penny chimes in. "Are you sure that's all that's going on?"

"Yes." You and Aaron respond at the same time.

She arches an eyebrow but doesn't say anything else.

Hotch takes your elbow gently and guides you away from everyone else. "Go home, Y/N. You aren't ready to be here. You need to give yourself more time."

"I'm going nuts, Aaron, please let me stay."

He frowns. "I don't know, Y/N. If we get a case and you're not in the right state of mind..."

"I'm fine. I promise. Please."

He studies your face for a few moments before sighing. "Fine. If you need me, I'm here. Don't suffer in silence."

You grin and give him a quick hug. He rolls his eyes in return, but you take notice of a hint of a smile at the corners of his lips.

__________

It's a slow day at the office but spending time with your friends beats sitting in Hotch's guest room by yourself any day. You make plans for a girls' night and get hassled by Derek for letting a stomach bug take you out of commission. Penelope takes notice of the strained smile on your face but you shake your head when you see her worried expression. She frowns but turns her attention to Derek.

Your desk phone rings and you pick it up, motioning for everyone to quiet down.

"This is Agent Y/L/N of the BAU, what can I do for you?"

There's no response on the other end.

"Agent Y/L/N speaking, how can I help you?"

"Don't hang up."

Your throat goes dry. Eric.

"Please, just give me two minutes to apologize."

You want to yell at him or slam the phone down but you're frozen. You can't move.