safe

TW: suicidal thoughts/actions, mentions of manslaughter, course language.

I put down the knife, letting tears run down my cheek. Mari wanted me to change. I wanted me to change. She was right, and deep in my heart I knew it. And, as I sobbed, somebody wrapped their arms around me in a tight hug from behind.

"I knew."

"H-huh?"

"I knew," Kel repeated, his voice hushed and cracking, on the verge of tears. "I knew what happened to Mari."

"How did you know?"

"I overheard your parents talking about it. I looked through the window and I saw you and Basil wiping the blood off of the floor with sponges and soapy water. The crash sound was so loud I could hear it. I was your neighbour, after all."

"Why didn't you say anything?" I asked, feeling his tears on the back of my neck.

"What the hell is a kid to do when he sees his friends covering up manslaughter?" His voice was oddly low and hushed. "I heard you talking to Mari."

"How did you follow me?"

"I know you, Sunny. I love you. You're one of the best friends I've ever made."

Basil ran over at that second, joining into the embrace as soon as he saw the rusted knife on the ground. "Promise you won't leave. Please, promise me. Not like this."

"I..."

I was at a loss for words by the time Aubrey arrived. "Everything is going to be okay."

"Everything?"

"Everything."

"I came as soon as I could," Hero said, rolling over in a motorised wheelchair. "You guys can use your legs so it took you faster. But, I'm here!"

"You're out of hospital?" I asked, admittedly shocked.

"I mean, not really. But, I managed to get out for tonight to see you play. You were amazing, by the way."

"And you finally shaved off your stupid beard," Kel said between tears, still laughing at his own joke.

"Hey! For your information, I looked wonderful." Rolling over, he placed a hand on my head, ruffling my hair. "I'm glad you're here."

Not knowing what to do, we all sat there in a tight embrace. And, I bet I can tell you that I'm not alone in feeling Mari hugging us too.

"...I'm glad I'm here too."

"Does this mean you're quitting your band?" Basil asked. I could hear in his voice that he was hoping I wouldn't leave.

"I don't really know. I'm supposed to be leaving with the group tomorrow." After a pause and a second of hesitation, I sighed and continued. "But I don't exactly want to go. I'm tired. So, so tired."

"You probably need to go to the hospital regarding your fatigue and recent episodes, not to mention that you almost stabbed yourself in the stomach tonight," Aubrey said. "So, I don't think you're going to leave Faraway tomorrow."

"That's good. These past few days have been a shitstorm. I want at least one day where I get to spend time with you all without anything going wrong."

And, hey...

...Why does it have to be only one more day?

~~~

proceed to the ending from here.