Chapter 1: Karakura

A/N: no confirmation that I will finish this story, I've just had it drafted for a while and I began posting it on AO3 already.

Ichigo leant against a wall on the sidewalk as he found himself in a situation he didn't expect: spectating. Across from him was a child's spirit hiding behind a corner as a group of skateboarders hung around the other side. In any other circumstance Ichigo would've been the first to kick their asses for the glass of flowers they broke. But today it seemed like someone had beaten him to it.

Yuri roundhouse kicked one of the men all the way down the street, leaving a trail of dust behind him. "Did I stutter? I asked which one of you knocked over the flowers!" He scowled at them as he clicked his wrist in preparation to continue the fight.

The other boys hastily retreated back to their friend, crowding around him and checking he was okay. The downed one was bleeding from his nose and looked drowsy, meaning he was probably concussed.

Ichigo and Yuri spared a glance at one another and smirked to each other. This wasn't their first rodeo together, just their positions were normally switched. Ichigo would do the fighting and Yuri would watch unless he felt it necessary to intervene.

"You bastard! Look what you did to Higashi!" One of the boys looked from his friend to Yuri before charging towards him. Yuri just stared blankly, unsure if the guy was bold or just plain stupid.

The boy reeled back his arm and threw a punch, but Yuri took one step to the side to avoid it. He sent an upward chop towards the jaw of the thug, putting in enough force to send his head flying back and throwing him to the floor.

Yuri cracked his knuckles before turning to the two men still standing. "Anyone else?" He raised an eyebrow. The men immediately shook their heads as sweat rolled down their faces. They split up and grabbed their friends, making a break for it and running away.

"Those guys never learn." Ichigo sighed, approaching his friend. "I'm starting to think you're a better fighter than me."

Yuri scratched the back of his head with a small smile. He wasn't one to really enjoy fighting unless he was angry. Fighting only felt like a necessary action if words weren't going to be helpful.

"I don't know if I should take that as a compliment." He said slowly.

Ichigo shrugged. "Take it how you want. I'm just saying."

Quiet footsteps made the two turn around. The little boy they had been defending was standing before them, his hands held together in front of the chain on his chest. "Thank you." The kid said to them.

Ichigo looked to Yuri as his thoughts began to run rapidly. He should probably send the kid to the Soul Society, but he couldn't use his combat pass with Yuri here.

"Hey. I got this. You should get home. We have a test tomorrow." Ichigo told him. Yuri looked back at him with a curious eye.

"I thought we were studying together for that?" He tilted his head. The orange haired boy cursed under his breath as he remembered that. But it wasn't much of an issue.

"Oh, yeah... Just go back to mine. My dad will let you in." He waved him off with a nervous smile. Yuri hummed as he was suspicious of his friend, but he didn't pry and instead turned to walk away.

"If you're not back in 10 minutes then I'm telling Isshin you're with a woman." He called out with a mischievous chuckle. Ichigo's breath caught in his throat as he watched his friend leave.

"Don't you dare!"

The Next Day...

It was back to class the next day. More specifically back to school since it was currently lunch break. Most of the gang were sat up on the roof as they ate.