Chapter 9: Di Roy

"They're attacking? Now?" (Y/N) questioned as Renji swallowed a soul candy from his dispenser, bursting out of his gigai. The other man was quick open the nearby window, preparing to leave.

"Just stay here. It's too dangerous." Renji said hastily, bursting out of the room in a flash of shunpo. (Y/N) just stood there, teeth gritted. Renji's gigai rambled and the soul candy inside took control, but (Y/N) blocked it out as he grabbed his asauchi and dashed out of the room and down to the front door.

"I'm not just sitting back. For once, I can actually do something to help you, Ichigo." He pulled the gikongan dispenser from his pocket, humming as he glanced back and forth between the snake head atop it and the door. He sighed, not really knowing how this would feel. He shoved the thought aside and pressed down on the snake head, firing a green pill into his mouth and gulping it.

For a moment, nothing happened. But in a sudden jolt, he burst out of his gigai, dressed in his shinigami attire. He spun around, watching as his body collapsed down. He was about to try catch himself before the body caught itself.

"Uh..." (Y/N) murmured as his body stood up, staring him down with an expression he couldn't read.

"My, my. This seems like quite the young body. Are you old enough to be a soul reaper?" Diana quizzed him with a sly tone, hissing at the end of her sentence. (Y/N) really wanted to question the replacement soul, but sighed desperately and turned back to the door.

"Just... stay here, whatever you are." He dashed out the door, ignoring another remark from behind him as he sprinted through the streets. Sweat was beading on his brow as the heavy feeling hung over his head. "I'm coming."

Across Karakura Town, Rangiku and Toshiro had encountered two of the invading arrancars: Shawlong Koufang and Nakeem Grindina.

Ikkaku and Yumichika had been faced by Edrad Liones.

Renji had been met by Ylfordt Granz within little time of his rush out of the house.

And in the middle of the town was Ichigo and Rukia, rushing to the aid of Chad, while unaware of how powerful the opponent they would be facing was.

(Y/N) was still running blindly through the streets. While Rangiku had taught him a good amount about kidō, he didn't have a lot of experience with sensing locations or even moving in the air like everyone else could.

"Ichigo. Where are you, Ichigo?" (Y/N) panted as he ran. He came to a sliding halt as he was met by three different paths to run down. He looked between each one, recalling the direction to Ichigo's house. Maybe he'd be there.

Before he could continue sprinting, a whoosh of air just barely caught in his ears. He spun around, unsheathing his asauchi as he was met by a hard hit to the blade. Reiatsu blasted away from him and his assailant, his eyes twitching with fear and shock as he faced down the crazed grin of an arrancar.

"What's this? You managed to block my attack. I suppose I should be impressed." Di Roy chuckled, reeling back his arm and planting a kick in (Y/N)'s direction. Di Roy was more than glad he had come across a soul reaper, but he doubted the battle would take long. The boy's spiritual pressure was mediocre at best.

(Y/N) gasped, barely able to block the kick, and even then, he was sent sliding back across the ground. His feet slipped out and he fell onto his back a little further, but he quickly rolled to his feet. "Shit. I can barely read his movements."

"Is this the best the Gotei 13 has to offer? Children in shihakushos? What a bore." Di Roy grinned, staring him down. "I'm Arrancar 16. The name's Di Roy."

(Y/N) swallowed back his thoughts, standing tall and spinning his asauchi around his hand. "I'm (Y/N) (L-"

"Never mind that. I won't waste my time learning the name of someone who's about to die!" Suddenly, Di Roy jetted forward, reeling back his hand again for another stab. This time, (Y/N) remained steady. The arrancar didn't mind that, just cackled as he threw his attack.