Chapter 5: Zanpakutō

"Should we be taking a break? I thought that Toshiro said to-" Yuri raised a finger as he tried to argue, but Rangiku quickly swatted his arm. The two had quit training for the moment as the lieutenant took the newcomer to meet people.

"Don't be silly. The captain always lets me get away with taking a few breaks... Sometimes... But- Hey. Anyway, I want to show you around. There's so many people you haven't met yet." She said cheerily. Yuri just sighed and didn't bother arguing. The two strolled along the many paths of the Seireitei as Rangiku lead him towards the Squad 6 barracks.

There were already two men outside when they arrived. One with spiky red hair and one bald. The two looked to be arguing, and once they got closer their argument became clearer.

"Like I told you the last time. Go to Squad 4, not me!" The bald man yelled.

"I already told you that I did, but the Captain is in a meeting and Lietenant Kotetsu is nowhere to be found! Just let me borrow some!" The red haired one reached out to try grab the other's sheathed zanpakutō.

"No way! Get your own ointment!" The bald man growled, holding his weapon away. Rangiku cleared her throat to catch their attention, making their heads snap towards her.

"Are you two idiots done squabbling? I've got a new friend I want you to meet." Rangiku pushed the nervous Yuri in front of her.

"I wouldn't say we're friends yet, but-" He said.

"What are you talking about? Of course, we are!" The woman beamed. "This is Renji." She motioned to the one with red hair. "This is Ikkaku." She pointed to the bald one. "And this is Yuri." She motioned to Yuri.

"Huh... I haven't seen you around here before." Ikkaku leant into the boy's face as he examined him a little too closely. Yuri closed his eyes in irritation of the action.

"Come to think of it. Me neither. Are you new here?" Renji joined his friend and also got in his face. With a short growl, Yuri reeled his hand back and punched the two away, sending them sliding across the floor and into the wall of the barracks.

"Oh, yeah? You think?" He scowled at the two as they slowly got up with groans.

"Two lieutenant class shinigami being handled by someone who's been here less than a day. How the hell did you two make it out of the academy?" Rangiku facepalmed.

"Did you just come here to insult us?" Ikkaku huffed, his eyes returning to Yuri. "And there's no way that one just arrived. His reiatsu is at least that of a third seat."

"What seat are you?" Yuri tilted his head in curiosity.

"Third seat." The man responded.

"I guess that makes sense. You seem pretty weak, baldy." Yuri held his chin, thinking to himself. He certainly didn't see himself as very strong in this place. He wasn't too sure if a third seat was all that tough.

A vein bulged from Ikkaku's forehead as his anger began to skyrocket. Renji took an unconscious step back while Rangiku did the same, giving an innocent shrug to Yuri when he looked at her in confusion.

'Oops. Was it something I said?' He stared at Ikkaku as his hand jittered towards his zanpakutō's hilt.

"What was that, shrimp?" The man asked in a deadly tone. After a few moments of pause he unsheathed the zanpakutō with a short war cry. He pointed the blade towards Yuri and smirked. "If you think you're so big, just come test your luck."

"I... I don't have a..." Yuri stuttered and pointed at the weapon. He was totally ignoring that Rangiku had sparred him with her Haineko just because he didn't trust this man to not kill him.