Chapter 11: My Most Grievous Fault

Amelia: Chapter 11 — My Most Grievous Fault

Confiteor Deo omnipotenti,
et vobis fratres,
quia peccavi nimis
cogitatione, verbo,
opere et omissione:
mea culpa, mea culpa,
mea maxima culpa.
Ideo precor beatam Mariam semper Virginem,
omnes Angelos et Sanctos,
et vos, fratres,
orare pro me ad Dominum Deum nostrum.

...

*Voice Recorder Clicks*

"Entry Number 1:
Log Date: December 1st, 2007. The UHN called me today. Those bastard higher-ups... always thinking that I'm willing to do anything for them. This is going to be the first of many recordings I'm probably going to be doing. If this is really as important as they say this is, then I swear to God it's real.

Apparently, they want me to take in this kid. Apparently, she's powerful... more than anything that this society's ever seen. They also want me to take in the kid's mother... 'Amy,' I think her name is. Those in the UHN already know what my goal is, but this isn't the point. This child... I desire its latent power.

As opposed I am to the idea, I can't say that it isn't worth a shot. This child's mother might be worth something, and if their powers are as powerful as the superiors say they are... then I might be able to twist their powers to aid me in my dream...

They already arranged our meeting. In the coming months, she and I will be together for the next... who knows how long.

Duly so. I do feel bad about the other one though... all those tries, and still: nothing.

I already abandoned my family for this life I've chosen. I don't mind, though... they already seem to despise me, especially my wife back home. She doesn't deserve this... she was one of the only bright lights I have left in this world.

Anyhow, they will be arriving tomorrow. I don't know if I'll ever come back to this recording... it's honestly just me trying to make sense of this whole situation. I'm looking forward to what kind of ability this child has..."

...

"Entry Number 4:
Heh heh heh... how many months has it been since my last entry? Has it really been almost a year since making the first? I never really took this seriously, but I'm here now, so I should probably begin.

Life is becoming harder for Amy and I, and the guilt is becoming too overbearing. According to the UHN, the plan is a go. If it's made public that I've had a part in whatever's going to happen tomorrow, then I will lose everything...

The child is becoming more and more unstable. If the reach of her power is this great, then I always wonder as to how powerful it will become when it matures. It's ironic... if I found out about this years ago, then I thought my search would finally be over, but now that I'm uncovering the truth... this has just become a lot harder.

I haven't shown my face back home in a while. My standing is definitely going to take a toll, but this is going to be worth it. If it's all for him, I'll do it; I swore that to myself, didn't I?

But what will happen to Amy? No, I don't feel anything more than compassion for her... I gave that up a long time ago. Of course, having spent almost a year with a person really changes the way you look at them... They said that they would take care of her, but... I've been having serious doubts about this the more I think about it:

What's in it for them? I already know how deviously acquisitive they are, so I see no reason why they would keep her after she'd lost her own powers. I'm apathetic to it... but, somehow, I hope that she makes it out of this without too much repercussion.