Chapter 14: My Decision is Clear

Amelia: Chapter 14 — My Decision is Clear

It's hard to believe that it's already been nearly four years since the incident at the temple.

And, by extension, four years since I met him.

A lot has happened since then, but there's one thing for certain: I'm finally living the normal life I've only dreamed of. It's true — he made good on his promise, and now I live with him. His father is usually elsewhere, but he visits often. They're both so nice... I would have forgotten what compassion felt like if it weren't for those two.

They tell me stories of their home. Apparently, they were caught up in a major mission, and are now required to investigate different remnants of the past like the temple I discovered. They still won't tell me what exactly their main goal is, but I don't pry. Their kindness is genuine, and they took a runaway like me in; that's all that matters.

Right now, I'm attending my Senior Year in High School. Currently, I'm... about nineteen-or-so years old — a little older than your average high school student. I'll be graduating in a month or so. Not to brag, but I'm sitting at the top of my class, hehe! Not too shabby for someone who's never had formal education her whole life, eh?

I'm grateful for all of the books I've read, and the experience I've received living out in the streets. It's given me so much needed proficiency in trying to balance a social and study life. As it turns out, people aren't all so bad. You just need to... be on the same level as them.

I have many friends whom I can't be thankful enough for. I have people I can openly call my family. I finally have the life that I wanted, and to top it all of, a really interesting power, though I should probably stop calling it that now...

Nah... I like calling it a power. It makes me feel like a superhero!

I reflect on how far my life has gone since the days I was waiting for my inevitable death. The fear of that is now gone — my only worries nowadays are trying to rush overdue projects, and... if I'll ever be going to university.

Woah-hoh... college, huh? I guess I really am finally living out the perfect life I've always dreamed of. It's almost too perfect in fact... but I don't stress the details, because I'm pretty sure going through something as grave as a near-death experience merits me a second chance at life, doesn't it?

As of right now, the school day is over. As my mind continues wandering, I step outside of the exit, not even realizing that it's lightly raining. It's not raining too hard, though — I can still make out the idle chatter of the numerous students surrounding me, also walking home from school. I reach into my satchel, pulling out a clear, compact umbrella.

I struggle to open it, though. This thing is always acting iffy... I should probably buy a new one. Every time I press on the bottom to unlatch it, nothing happens. I'm starting to get annoyed as I debate whether or not I should just run home in the rain. It'd give me an excuse to get in the tub first at least.

As I'm finally about to give in with the stupid umbrella, someone grabs it out of my hands. I look up in frustration, but I roll my eyes with a sigh as I realize.

"Afternoon, Angel." He greets me.

I close my bag and look towards him.
"Hiya, um... give it back, will you?

He grabs hold of the umbrella, and opens it with ease. Tch, show-off... I'll admit, though, he's a lot stronger than he looks. If he's not off doing work, he's usually in the training room busting his ass off. I incessantly tell him to stop overworking himself, but he keeps giving me vague answers in response.