Chapter 15: My Hero

Amelia: Chapter 15 — My Hero

The fated week has passed.

I'm currently staring at the airport from above a hilltop parallel to the private hangar. As the wind courses through my hair, I smile fondly at the sight of the blinking lights shining from the airport from below. Never in all of my years would I dare to think that I'd be so close to airplanes taking flight.

I was told to meet-up with him up here at around six-thirty, but I arrived around an hour earlier. I've forgotten how much I loved airplanes; seeing several of them begin to take flight after all this time was exhilarating. I've been standing up here looking down for so long, but as I hear the sound of leaves rustling behind me, I sit down.

"Looks like someone's excited." He arrives.

He came here early, probably expecting me to arrive on time. I take a seat, and he does the same beside me. His flight was in a few minutes, so this is my last chance to talk to him for a little while. In retrospect, one month isn't even all that long, so I don't quite understand why my mood is so melancholic.

I guess, truthfully, I'm just gonna miss him. I've already made up my choice, though. Once I finally graduate, I'm coming with him. Even though I've lived here my whole life, it's never felt like home to me — it never has. To me, home is where he is, and that's what I truly feel.

The two of us sit idly against the grass, admiring the sunset. This is going to be the last time he and I talk for a while, so I guess this'd better leave an impact. In an attempt to speak up, I fidget around with my hands and the grass surrounding me. I realize that this probably isn't going to do me any good, but, luckily, I think he noticed. He's always been awfully good at reading someone's emotions through bodily expressions...

"What's on your mind, Angel?" He starts.

I remain silent for several seconds, lost in the view. He inches over closer to where I'm sitting, catching me in my lucid daydream.

"How long... are you going to stay there?" I ask.

He sighs unsurely, scratching his neck.
"Well, hopefully... forever."

Oh. I bury my head into my knees. I've quite grown fond of our home here, but I guess I'll have to say goodbye to all of my classmates if I really go through with coming with him. I've known him for, what, four years, now? Likewise, he's known me for just as long, so I hope he feels similar to how I am right now...

"It's not going to be all bad, though. Father's going to stay here with you, remember?" He reassures me.

That's right... his father managed to push through with bringing me along with them, but he'll have to supervise me in the meantime — meaning he has to go alone for a whole month. It does make me feel guilty since I'm sure that his father is just as homesick as he is...

Apparently, it was difficult trying to convince them to take me. I don't know why exactly their organization is so involved with me, but I'm guessing it has something to do with me repossessing the Golden Stone. The only way they agreed to the proposition of the second flight is all because his father is protecting me.

"I really think my friends would like you. I can't wait until I introduce you to all of them." He says excitedly.

I keep failing to remember that I'm one of his friends now. In fact, he's actually known me longer than them. He tells me that they've only been classmates for one school year, but he and I have been living together for my whole school life. In hindsight, it's strange how much he reminisces about them, but after remembering all of the stories he tells me whenever we're having a conversation, I feel like I can tell how much his classmates mean to him.