Five || Bubblegum

-Art by matsuno._chifuyuxx-

Only the scenery and the weather could buoy my spirits now. As would the deserted park, which was entirely mine at this time of day as I sat, staring at the trees all around the play park which glistened under the evening sun, with my body rocking back and forth on the swings.

I liked this. Just me, by myself, watching the January sky with no stress in my mind. Especially since the past two weeks had been so hectic.

Inui and Kokonoi, the two Black Dragons members, joined the first division of Toman. Kisaki and Hanma were kicked out of the gang. And all the three-hundred and fifty members from Moebius and Valhalla left too.

There hadn't been any big fights either since it all happened. It seemed the year was off to a not-so-shabby start.

The sound of scampering little feet pulled me out of my thoughts. I clutched the chains of the swing as I looked to see a black cat waiting patiently at the entrance of the park. In a ways of not to intimidate the small animal, I held out a hand to it. The cat hesitated for a moment but then cautiously began making it's way over to me. It rubbed it's head against my ankles as it walked in circles around my legs before jumping onto my lap and proceeding to settle down. The warmth it radiated onto my thighs was a comforting feeling which was why my hand moved on it's own when I went to pet it.

Gently, I stroked the cat, feeling its fur between my fingers, while my mind once more drifted to a haze.

And eventually, as all good things come to an end, the cat's ears perked up immediately at the sudden sound of rushing footsteps. I took my hands off the pet as it lifted it's head to see the source of the sound. The cat and I looked in unision at the panting boy at the park entrance who was bent over with pants of air.

"Peke J! There you are," He gasped in relief while rocking his head back.

I had to do a double-take to make sure that was who I thought it was. The single piercing. The undercut. The ambitious pair of green eyes that could show all emotion while simultaneously being able to conceal everything. Chifuyu caught my glance and he too seemed suprise to see me.

"Funny seeing you here." I mumbled as the exhausted boy walked closer to me, scratching his head. His loose red tie swung from side to side as he walked; it was obvious he had come from school a little while ago, just like I had since I was also still in my uniform.

"Funny seeing you with my cat." He answered back once he stood before me, his breath laced with the scent of the bubblegum he must have chewed at some point during the day. At those words, the black cat which was resting on my lap leaped into his arms.

I held on to the chains of the swing once more, not really wanting to get up. "I never knew you had a cat. Or even liked them, for that matter." I admitted.

Chifuyu took that as a cue to sit down on the swing next to me with the cat curling on his lap, much like it did on mine only moments earlier. "This is Peke J. I let him out when I came home from school but he saw a car and got scared and ran away. I've been searching for him until now." He added while rubbing the sleepy pet's head. "What were you doing here?"

Not expecting to be asked that question, I faltered and tried to think of something to say. "I was thinking."

"Thinking? Of what?"