Twenty || Bittersweet

-Art by sebin.13 on Instagram-

[Reference to chapters 197, yes this is after the timeskip 💪💯]

I was swinging the plastic shopping bag while trotting down the neighbourhood. It was in the late afternoon and I had just finished my job that day. Usually I'd wrap up much earlier though, and end up getting home by five but I needed to work a little overtime today because I had been absent the previous week due to a wedding. Pah-Chin's wedding, in fact.

Boy, was it a blast. Everyone had a great time and it was even funnier seeing as I hadn't seen Pah-Chin so flustered in his life. Funnily enough, the time leaping Takemichi came back too. He couldn't have picked a better moment seeing as it was barely three months before his own wedding.

The thoughts of Takemichi were still on my mind when I opened the shop to the local pet store and thought I was imagining it when I saw him inside. The glass door jingled it's usual jingle, grabbing the attention of those already inside the warm store. Kazutora was taking a small cat back to it's enclosure while Chifuyu had an arm swung around Takemichi's neck.

"I brought some yakisoba buns." I said nonchalantly while walking forward with the bag in both my hands. Chifuyu let go of his friend immediately and grinned like an idiot. I had already figured what he was about to say but before he did say it, I held my palm in front of his beaming face. "They're not for you, weirdo. I bought them for Kazutora since he actually does his job, unlike someone." The black haired man faked a hurt expression as I handed the bag to Kazutora, who thanked me with glee.

Takemichi just stared dumbfoundedly at me before mumbling, "(Y/N), you've really changed..."

I gave him a quizzical look. What an odd thing to say, it's almost as if he expected me to be the exact same as I was twelve years ago. My hair had changed and I switched up my style a little but I was still as cynical as ever. Or I thought I was, at least. He only saw me at the wedding last week and we never got a chance to talk too much so I was about to ask him what about me he found different but Chifuyu ran his smart mouth before I could.

He did that smug chuckle and said, "Changed? Pfft, she's the same as ever! Although, I guess one could argue she's changed in the sense she's filled out-"

Within the blink of an eye, I had my hands covering his mouth to stop him from saying anything to further embarrass me. He practically ripped my hands off and placed his own around my waist so he could pull me in, trapping me so that I couldn't shut him up anymore. "Car's extended warranty forms! She fills out cars extended warranty forms!" There was that lingering hint of amusement in his tone, but even without it I could still tell he was just saying that to save himself.

Chifuyu was holding me so close into his chest that I wasn't able to see Takemichi staring at us both with flushed cheeks while Kazutora was just working peacefully since he had become used to such shenanigans. "W-were you guys always this close? I feel like I'm missing something..." The man in the hoodie laughed nervously.

I finally broke free from that lunatic's grasp but he immediately grabbed my left hand to show it to Takemichi, along with his own which bared the same ring that I had on mind. "Didn't you know, 'Mitchy? We're married."

He had the exact reaction I was expecting him to have. Blinking furiously before breaking out in a yell of shock, "When the hell did that happen!?"

"Well during highschool I sorta liked Chifuyu and he liked me too, but after our final year we had to say goodbye since we were going to different universities. I left to study in Nagoya and he stayed in Tokyo." I said.