Chapter 11: Hands on

"My feet hurt." I whined. "Why did I cover Gillian's shift?"

Ray shrugged and wiped a few crumbs from the counter. "You said the manager doesn't give you enough hours so Gillian gave you some, this is purely your fault."

I blew a strand of my hair to the side, all in vain as it slid back. "Right, but that was more like something I say and don't do."

Ray rolled his eyes. "Yeah yeah, that sounds about right. I'll be back I'm gonna go sweep."

As he walks away he runs his hand through my hair, ruffling it quickly along his way. I grab my hair and fix it. I suppose no matter our status he still likes to mess up my hair.

"How cute." I hear a familiar voice say. I turned to look, and surprise hitting me as I saw who it was.

"Oh hi, what's up, Norman?" I finish fixing my hair, turning my whole attention to him. "What brings you here, you usually don't drop by."

"I wanted something bitter, but I walked in and saw that flirting you two have going on and now I want something sweet. Got any recommendations?" He walked up to me.

I smiled. "Duh, I work here. I feel like you'd definitely like one of our chocolate chip cookies. Or what do you feel about custard filling? We have some scones, and we just made a new batch of custard."

"I'll go with a scone with custard." He said cheerfully.

"Great."

I quickly bagged up his food and rang him up, as I handed it to him he grabbed my hand.

"What is it?" I leaned in.

"I just noticed you have nail polish on."

I looked at my hand. "Oh yeah, Gilda had some and wanted to paint my nails. It's a clear color so I'm surprised you noticed."

"I notice many things about you, since you started dating Ray even more."

I felt a little awkward, remembering our recent conversations. "Oh yeah, that makes sense. I guess I'd be the same way in your situation."

We stayed still, an uneasy feeling filling in the former awkwardness.

"What are you two doing?"

We both whipped our heads over to Ray.

"You swept pretty fast." I commented.

"I'm good at what I do." Ray walked over. "Surprised to see you, Norman. You usually don't come around... or hold Emma's hands." He leaned in closer. "Is she wearing nail polish?"

Norman pulled my hand closer to Rays face. "She is, that's what I was commenting on."

Norman let go of my hand as Ray grabbed it to inspect my nails. "I don't think I've ever seen you with nail polish."

"It almost doesn't seem like you."

"What's that supposed to mean?" I said slightly offended.

"It means you're bland." and "Means you're simple." They said in unison.

"Oh ow, that didn't hurt." Annoyance ringing in my voice.

They both laughed as Ray ruffled my hair. "We're just kidding, Emma."

I whacked is hair. "Too bad, you're both not forgiven." I feel onto the counter. "My pride hurts."

We shared a laugh. For the moment it felt like how I hoped it would stay between us three, completely normal.

—-

"It feels weird that we're getting off at the same time, we usually leave at different times." Ray commented as we left the store.

I gave a dry chuckle. "Yeah, it does feel odd."

We didn't say anything else, nothing left to say and we were both tired. Around the corner to our homes Ray grabbed my hand, rather slyly.

"You know I'm not surprised Norman was able to notice your nail polish."

I grabbed his hand back. "Yeah, he's mad observant. It's insane."

"It drives me crazy, he's too good to be true sometimes." He giggled.

"Truly, when we were hanging out the other day He pulled off the most perfect date that it almost felt unreal."

"Oh yeah, I forgot to ask about that, it was fun right?"

I tended up. "Super fun, he knows me to well sometimes."

"I could say the same thing." He sighed.

I looked over at him, he was staring ahead. "Did something happened or are you just saying in general."

Ray snapped out of space and looked at me. "Just in general. He almost always knows what I'm thinking."

I nodded as we walked up the stairs.

"The elevator being broken is a huge pain right?" I smiled. "But it's fun cause I usually get to walk with you."

Rays cheeks got hot. How cute.

We went onto my floor and stopped, letting go of our hands. His face looked a little warm.

This whole Norman thing had certainly clouded up my mind, not in a threatening way but it certainly did make me tense up at times. But I didn't wanna forced on something that shouldn't worry me.

I brushed his bangs out of his face, revealing is full face. Ray almost seemed to be waiting for something, a kiss on the cheek perhaps. I pulled away and began to walk backwards.

"Good night, cutie." I blew a kiss.

His face turned beet red. "Don't say stuff like that it's embarrassing."

"Why not? It's the very reason why we started dating right?" I said playfully.

He looked taken aback. "Don't remind me, you always know how to make me feel embarrassed."

"In the good way, you love it."

"You believe that." He smiled. "Good night."