Chapter 12: Key Details

Little to nothing happened over the course of the fall, everything was normal. December rolled around and we were released for winter break.

"How are you gonna be spending the break?" Gilda asked.

My phone was in my shirt as I was washing dishes, on speaker for the whole house to hear. But that didn't matter as no one was home.

"I dunno, probably work, homework? You wanna make plans some time tell me and I'll make time." I sighed with a funny little smile. "I'll always have time for you, Gilda."

"That's sweet, I'll always have time for you also."

We giggled over the phone as I finished washing the dishes, quickly drying my hands to go and lay down in the living room.

"We'll make plans for sure, but I'm also wondering what's the plan with Ray. It's your first Christmas together as a couple." Giddiness radiated from her tone of voice.

I turned on the tv. "Well, like I said earlier, I dunno." There was nothing interesting. "It's kinda up in the air whether or not we'll actually do something. I think Yuugo wants us to do something with Lucas, maybe?"

"Oh, you got my hopes up for nothing." She sighed.

"It's okay, Gilda, one day I'll live out your fantasy of a romantic Christmas." I laughed.

"We'll I guess it can't be helped, you really don't have a romantic bone in your body."

I laughed awkwardly. "We'll that's okay with both Ray and I. And I would t say I don't have a romantic bone in my body, I just have my own way of showing it."

"Like...?"

"Like... lemme think."

"You have 1 minute to get you evidence."

I paused and went into thought. What's something storybook romantic that I've done?...

"We've held hands down a hallway just talking." I said. "Made him a blushing mess by the end of it."

"I guess that's cute, I'll accept the answer."

"See that? I'm a total charmer." I laughed.

"I bet."

We sat in silence for a moment before Gilda started the conversation up again.

"But are you sure you want no plans for Christmas with Ray?"

I rolled over to my side and thought. "Maybe Christmas Eve? I'll ask him if you stop asking about it."

"Really?" Gilda's voice lit up. "If you do tell me about it please."

"I'll keep you in the loop, for sure."

—-

Dressed in my most approvable outfit I knocked on Ray's door. This will be fun.

9 am on Christmas Eve and I had barely remembered to ask him the night before, merely because Gilda had texted me to ask about todays plans. I didn't have the heart to disappoint her.

Isabella finally answered the door, a seemingly genuine smile when she examined me.

"Ah, Emma, I'm surprised to see you so well dressed. You've always been such a lovely girl." 

Oh pain.

"Ahaha, thank you. You look great as always." I laughed awkwardly, giving a thumbs up.

"Thank you." She paused for a moment before inviting me in. "Rays getting ready so come in and sit."

I walked in, taking off my shoes before making it further than just past the entrance, looking around the apartment that I had spent a lot of time in.

"You barely tell I grew up here." I said trying to start a conversation.

"This home is forever scared by your childhood." She said. "But that's how kids are."

I felt myself shrink. "Definitely." I continued to look around. "Funny how Ray of all people ended up with me stuck to him."

Isabella smiled. "It was good for him to have a friend like you, even if it wasn't good for this house."

I felt my face warm, no malice in her voice. How sweet to get her approval.

"Maybe a little to good for him." I laughed.

"I don't think so, it was just right." She laughed with me.

"Yeah but as children you'd never assume we'd up together as a couple of all things."

I slight pause on her part.

"As a what?"

—-

The realization hit me quickly, it almost gave me whiplash.

"Oh you know I think I forgot something at home, you know me so forgetful." I laughed it off.

Holy sh*t did I have bone to pick with Ray now.

Isabella, grabbed me gently. "You two are dating?"

"Slightly, maybe, kinda, yes...?" I hesitated to answer. "I thought Ray told you, but I suppose that was bold of me to assume."

"Does your father know?" She let's go. "How come Ray didn't tell me."

"Yuugo does know, he's known for a while." I paused. "Im more mad that he didn't tell me you didn't know. You know this could've all been avoided if he had just-"

We stopped as Ray walked out to us. He waved.

"Hey, Emma, you ready to head out."

I smiled. "Physically yes." He looked confused.

I didn't think I could be this upset, dammit.