Prologue

You know, things could be worse. I could be in the hospital, or dead, or expelled. But instead I was only given 2 days suspension. The reason being was falling from the ceiling into an English class. Once they figured out I was okay they were swift on punishment, sending me home at the very moment I left the principals office.

I sighed and adjusted my backpack to my bag, what was I gonna tell Yuugo when he got home? Sorry for getting suspended don't kill me?... well maybe. I'll leave that in the drafts.

It was only midday and most things were busy, mostly the food places. I wish I could get something to eat, some French toast from work would really turn this day around. But no, I was instructed to 'head straight home' by the principal.

I groaned as I walked past and into the apartment complex. Home at last at apartment 33 on the 2nd floor, now to await divine punishment from Yuugo when he gets home. Well until then a nap didn't sound half bad.

—-

"Emma, open the door." A familiar voice knocked on the door. "Emma!"

I shot up, did I fall asleep on the couch? What time was it?

"Ray?" I called out. "The door is open."

A yawn escaped me as Ray walked in, uniform and all, into the small living space.

"Hey there, what's with the hurry?" I laid on my side. "Sad without me? That's so bold of you to admit." I giggled.

Ray closed the door behind him, an angry look on his face. I knew that I was in for an earful from him.

"Would you care to explain as to why the hell you're suspended? Is it really for breaking a ceiling?"

"Well yes, it was a dare. I lost like 4 rounds of Uno against Don and our friends and it was the punishment. And I know very irresponsible but... uh," I paused as I stared into his eyes, full of disappointment. I lowered my gaze. "Yeah no it was dumb."

"You think?" Ray took a seat on the couch adjacent to me. "God you're so stupid, I can't believe I'm friends with you."

I frowned, I hated making him feel this way. "I'm sorry." My back tensed. "I wasn't thinking."

"Obviously." He sighed. "I have to start keeping a closer eye on you when you get back. As for now just try not to make things worse by going out a lot."

Ray got up and ruffled my hair. "Now that I'm done scolding you, I'm gonna head home."

I sat up and ran my hand through my hair, trying to undo the mess. "Alright see ya. And by the way can you rip Don a new hole when you see him at school for me?"

He opened the door and said quietly. "I'll see, bye."

The door closed quietly and I sat back down on the seat. I clicked my tongue, why does he treat me like a child? Coming over unannounced, scolding me, ruffling my hair, making me feel shame from disappointing him.

I crossed my arms. He hasn't changed since we were kids, not a lot at least. Treating me like a child. I didn't mind much at first but these days it's been driving me insane. Where does he get off treating me like a child? We're both seniors in a high school, almost adults.

"You know what, I'm not gonna think about it. It just makes me angry every time I think about it." I clenched my fists. "For now I have bigger issues like Yuugo, and being suspended."

Right, I can be frustrated with his treatment on Thursday when I go back to school.

—-

"Good morning, how was suspension?" Ray asked.

7 in the morning and straight to the point, huh.

"Well, besides Yuugo's scolding it was fine. I mostly did chores the whole time."

"Sounds about right. Must've been hard to be alone doing chores and have no one to bother for most of the day."

"You have no idea. I wish you would've come visit me, could've been a lot more fun with you there."

Ray ruffled my hair. "You would've just gotten distracted the whole time."

I ran my hand through my hair. "Wrong, I just would've suffered less."

He snickered and walked away from me, heading towards Norman who just arrived to school. I huffed, walking away too towards Don and our friends. I sat down across from them.

"Hello, I'm back. What're you guys doing?" I leaned over.

"Nothing much, just watching you and Ray flirt like usual." Don chuckled.

I tilted my head. "What on earth are you talking about?"

He tilted his head back. "You mean you guys aren't flirting?"

"Of course not... but how did you come to that conclusion?"

Don scratched the back of his head. "Well you guys always hang out during and after school, you work at the same place, and he always does that hair thing. You know? Messing up your hair."

"Hmmm, I can understand the first and last point but that's it. But to be honest I don't think we're flirting, I just assumed we were acting like friends."

Don shrugged. "Well whether you were flirting or not I think Ray definately was. Like think about it. He always goes out of his way for you, he always calls you nicknames, plays with your hair, etc. Don't know about you but I would've shot my shot by now."

I crossed my arms. Was he really? That just sounded like normal friend things to me. "Well, I'll test the waters. I'll do what he does and see what happens. Personally I'm sure it's gonna turn out to be nothing but just so I can prove you wrong I'll do it."