Chapter 1

In a small village at the end of the kingdom, a woman is breathing heavily as she ran through her house. It was dark, in the middle of the night. There was nowhere to hide in the small house. Not for her and not for the small bundle she was holding.

A silent cry was heard from the bundle and she looked down. Her long ash blonde hair falling in front of her eyes as she begged the bundle to be silent. She rocked her arms up and down in hopes to quiet the sounds.

"Be silent, please. I don't want him to find you" she begged.

In her arms she was holding her first and only son. She named him Asta. The baby looked much like herself, ash blonde hair and green eyes. He inherited nothing from his father, and unlike other mothers, she was grateful for it.

No one would notice his heritage. He was normal, unlike his father.

She had been a fool, trusting a stranger like that. But she couldn't undo what happened and it seemed like tonight she was finally paying for her crimes.

The baby squeaked again, unhappy with all the bouncing that came from his mother's running.

When she finally reached a certain room, she put the boy down in a tiny crib. She knew very well that she wouldn't survive the night. It was fine though, her felt that her son would be safe.

Someone would come and protect her from the monster.

Her grimoire began floating beside her, it was glowing with a faint gray color. She held out her hands above the baby crib.

"Covering magic: Cloak of disguise" she said. In an instant the baby became invisible.

"Don't worry sweety.... Only when a person with good intentions enters the room will you be found. He'll never be able to see you...."

Biting her lip, she made her way downstairs. Of course, she was scared, there was no denying it. Who wouldn't be scared. When she reached the bottom of the stairs, a black figure was already there, waiting for her.

"Where is he...." The figure asked.

The woman stayed silent, like hell she was gonna tell him. He should know better, after more then 3 years of getting to know her.

She had no spells to defend herself, her magic was to hide things and seal magic-less items. She knew she couldn't fight him but she wasn't going to tell him anything about where her son was.

"You won't find him...." Her voice was colder then the air around her. She stared the figure straight in the eye, she wouldn't let her fear be seen.

Next thing she knew, she was lying on the ground with a whole in her midsection. Breathing was getting harder for her and the pain almost knocked her unconscious.

"Now, we'll try again. Where is he!?" The figure asked, more force this time. Still, she wasn't gonna tell him a damn thing.

"Your time is limited, we both know that. I won't tell you anything and you'll be forced to leave again" she forced out.

He snickered. "That's why I'll take him with me, now just say it...."

"Never!" She hissed.

"Why do you make this so hard...." He teased. "If you tell me where he is, you won't have to die."

Trying to negotiate with a mother, hah, even he should know that wouldn't work. Besides, they both knew she would be killed by his hands at some point so it didn't matter.

She smiled, blood trailing out of her mouth. "You can tear this house down, but you'll never find him...."

The dark being clenched his fits with anger. "You used your magic, didn't you? That won't stop me." He declared.