Chapter 8

Asta knew instantly that this wasn't his thing. Going with Finral and Luck was just to please them. Mostly Finral. The older knight was still insecure about himself, Asta could tell.

Even if he acted cool around woman, trying to impress them wherever he went, the teen knew that he was silently worried about his own actions.

So, Asta agreed to accompany them. But when he saw her, Rebecca was her name, he knew it wouldn't work out. She was nice, that wasn't the problem. She was funny and looked good. A good person at heart, with lots of love for children. Especially her younger siblings.

But there was nothing about her that seemed to really spike his interest. Not the way he seemed to find himself fascinated by Yuno.

Asta found himself spending more and more time with the other magic knight. Mom and Dad didn't have a problem with that. He didn't know a lot about him though. Yuno was a quiet person, didn't talk about himself much. No matter what he asked, all he would receive would be short answers. If he got one that is.

So, most of the time Asta would talk with him about himself. About his parents and his life. How he grew up with the magic knights of his father, sometimes even his mother's.

But sitting there with Rebecca, there was not the same interest to talk. He had not problem helping her though. When that drunken guy came and was more then eager to 'help her out' there was no doubt in his mind to literally throw him into the wall. So he did.

That's what his parents had taught him. That was his ob. To help those who needed it, to protect others.

And again, when the children vanished in the middle of the night, he had no problem to help out again. Where Gauche suddenly came from, he didn't really know. Something about his sister living in the church.

The search led them into a cave not so far away from the small village. It was cold outside. None of them knew why it had started snowing. It wasn't the time of the year for snow. Usually, it was quite warm in these months.

His questions were answered thought when he found two mages inside the cave. One with snow magic an the other with some kind of mud magic. The children were gathered around them, not fully aware of what was going on.

They seemed to be in some sort of trance. Finding out that they were stealing their magic made his blood boil. Asta knew what it was like to live without any magic. Hundreds of children sharing the same fate was more than just unfair.

As much as he wished to find someone who knew what he felt like, he would never want someone to be like him. Mom always said that it was fine to be different, that it was good. But this kind of different was nothing he wished anyone else to be.

And then there was her. Sally. Some crazy girl, that was fixed on 'inspecting him'. She was not just crazy and completely out of her mind, but she was also creepy.

Her magic was strong too and no matter how hard he tried; his swords couldn't cut through it properly. She could regenerate her spell within seconds. His only chance was to cut through it until she had no magic left, but that was hard.

In his desire to be more powerful, the guy with mud magic asked her to strengthen his magic. And she did. With an enormous needle, injecting whatever it was directly into his neck.

It didn't work out like he wanted it too though. His magic running wild and turning him into mud. A giant monster made out of mud. Enough magic to regenerate whenever he was hit.

Asta had cut of his entire arm, but it didn't do much. It grew back in the next five seconds, if it even was that long. Sally found all this more than just funny. She enjoyed watching him fight it out.