02| Debrief

D.E.B.S dorm, 07:00

The D.E.B.S girls of Sector 1, aka the top squad of senior agents at D.E.B.S. Academy, were abruptly awoken from their slumber by their daily morning call from Mr Teddy, their handler. He was in charge of gathering intel and information, guiding them and assigning them missions.

He was also the girls' unofficial alarm clock.

It was the same routine every weekday morning, as it had been for the past four years when all four girls had been mere gangly pimple-faced teenagers fresh out of high school.

Their main communication channel was the large portrait in the entrance hall, the one where the D.E.B.S group photo was located. It also doubled as a two-way screen whenever Mr Teddy rang them up for their morning wake up call. 

"Good morning D.E.B.S," Mr Teddy started pleasantly, eyes crinkling into crescents. 

As usual, Mr Teddy's face was hidden behind a mask for supposedly privacy concerns since it would seem he had amassed quite a bounty on his head from underground criminals during his tenure as a field agent. Few people had ever seen him with the mask off. Few people could tell his age.

And as usual, only serene silence greeted him back.

"ATTENTION D.E.B.S! ATTENTION! EMERGENCY ALERT! THAT MEANS REPORT NOW, RIGHT THIS SECOND!" Mr Teddy bellowed, multiplying across all the frames and portraits that hung in hallways and corridors as a deafening alarm started ringing. 

All of the photo frames that hung around the house could be used in this manner as communication channels to reach everyone should they be scattered in different rooms.

Jennie Kim was the first to bolt up out of bed, gun blazing in hand before she realised that nobody was attacking them. As the squad captain, she was always prepared for action and her trusty uzi gun was never far out of reach. Nobody went in to her room to wake her precisely for this reason—nobody wanted to be accidentally blasted to smithereens by their trigger-happy captain.

Mr Teddy's voice magnified, unable to be ignored anymore as he barked out the morning wake up call peppered in with mildly threatening warnings. The ringing alarm didn't stop either. There was no going back to sleep.

"YOU HAVE NO TIME TO SLEEP LADIES. GO GO GO GO GO! AND I MEAN NOW, LADIES."

As the dutiful captain that she was, Jennie padded out of her room to go wake up the rest of her team while multiple Mr Teddy's continued to scream blue murder from the various photo frames, like their very own chorus of shrieking morning birds.

"THE WORLD MIGHT BE DESTROYED WHILE YOU'RE NAPPING!"

Jennie opened Jisoo's door, not surprised in the least to see the motionless lump beneath the sheets.

"Jisoo."

When the girl didn't move, Jennie called again. "Come on Jisoo, Teddy's freaking out."

Jisoo finally peeled back a corner of the sheet, blinking up at Jennie wordlessly, like she did every morning.

And like every morning, Jennie rolled her eyes but relented. "Okay, five minutes."

Jisoo grinned and was about to flop on the pillow again before Jennie peeked in again, nose scrunched up in disapproval as she eyed the second lump on the bed.

"And no boys allowed upstairs," she added exasperatedly before leaving to wake the others.

It was practically their morning greeting by now. Jisoo somehow managed to sneak a different guy into her bed every other night, no matter how closely Jennie surveyed her movements in the beginning, back in first year.