EIGHT. three's a crowd

THIRD PERSON'S POV

THIRD PERSON'S POV.

Valentine's Day was sure taking a weird turn this year. Of all the places Bless found herself going to this afternoon, Ricky Bowen's new apartment was the last place she imagined. Her moms were supposed to drop off a housewarming gift which was a pot plant along with brownies they baked for the Bowens as a little toast to their new apartment. Unfortunately, they got into a mishap when they went ice skating and now Carol was at the emergency clinic because she twisted her ankle. Dana accompanied her wife and Nini joined too, wanting to be a supportive daughter. So when Bless got home to an empty house, she immediately got a text from Momma D.

"God, this is such a waste of time," Bless complained to her phone where she was on a call with Nini who was on speakerphone. "And a waste of gas!"

"You're driving?" Nini inquired in disbelief.

"Hey, I'm a great driver."

"Who doesn't have her license."

"Permit and license are basically the same things so long as you don't get caught. But don't tell Moms or I'm grounded forever."

"When will I start rubbing off on you?" Nini rhetorically asked with a sigh.

"Never. I'm my own influence," Bless proudly stated as she turned onto the road that led to Ricky's apartment. "I still can't believe you didn't know Ricky moved. Even I knew."

"He forgot to tell me."

"Wow, you guys suck at communicating, huh?"

"We do not!"

"Sure you don't," muttered an unconvinced Bless who parked on the side near the apartment. "I gotta go."

"'Kay, bye."

The call ended, prompting Bless to place her phone in her jean pocket as she took her keys out of the ignition. Gathering the gift bag sitting in the backseat, Bless stepped out of her car and locked it. She made her way toward the apartment block before finding the number on the door that belonged to the Bowens, thankful that it was on the ground floor. Bless stood before the door, her hand going to ring the doorbell when the door swung open. Despite being caught off guard at the action, perplexity immediately washed over Bless upon seeing that it wasn't Ricky or his dad Mike who opened the door. Instead, it was Gina Porter.

"Gina?" Bless uttered her name in confusion while Gina's eyes widened. "What are you doing here?"

"I was, uh, just leaving," Gina nervously responded as she stepped past Bless who watched her walk away from the building. Not only was Bless confused and shocked upon seeing Gina at Ricky's apartment, but she felt the sickening feeling of envy bubble up in her. Why was Gina at Ricky's place, especially today of all days?