SIXTEEN

CHAPTER 16
AGAINST ALL BETTER JUDGMENT

CHAPTER 16AGAINST ALL BETTER JUDGMENT

IT was essential to wake up bright and early the morning of a wedding, but unfortunately, Sage slept past the alarm she set on the bedside clock

Thankfully, Edward woke her up five minutes later with a foam cup of motel coffee and an almost burnt bagel in his hands. She downed the coffee the second he handed it over, trying not to focus on that he was only wearing a towel draped across his waist. Sage looked away, asking him if the alarm clock ever went off, and he said it didn't. Her eyes drifted back to his though, back to the droplets of water gliding down from his wet hair, to his ghostly pale skin and the slight muscle to his arms –

"Sorry, let me get dressed. I just took a shower when I remembered you needed to get up at eight." He quickly retreated to the bathroom, and Sage released a breath of relief before finishing the bagel.

She immediately got out of bed and ran to the sink, where her hot curlers rested on the countertop. Plugging the cord into the wall, she brushed her teeth until the green light came on indicating that they were done heating. Edward came out of the bathroom in his dress pants and unbuttoned shirt as she began putting the curlers on one side of her head. She was having a bit of difficulty though, and Edward found it hard not to notice.

"Come on," she said through gritted teeth, retrying a strand for the third time. The wedding started at eleven, and knowing her slow pace, her dad was going to kill her if she wasn't ready in time.

Edward appeared beside her. "Do you want my help?"

Sage finally got the curler just right and picked up another. "I doubt you know how to do this any better. I'm not even getting this correct."

"I've seen my mother do it for years." He plucked a hot curler from the set. "How about I do the right side and you continue doing the left?"

Sage hesitated. He seemed fairly confident, so what did she have to lose? If it didn't go well ... she could always find a way to throw her hair up. "Okay, sure," she said, sliding the warm box of curlers in between them.