NINETEEN

CHAPTER 19
THE RIGHT KIND OF MONSTER

CHAPTER 19THE RIGHT KIND OF MONSTER

SAGE held onto Blaire for at least an hour

SAGE held onto Blaire for at least an hour. Her friend kept mumbling things like, "I knew it all along and I didn't pay attention," or "this is all so fucked. How am I supposed to act like this is all normal?" Sage didn't have any words of confidence. She simply held her, allowing Blaire to cry on her shoulder as she muttered, "I didn't listen. I didn't listen. Oh, why didn't I listen?"

She rode her bike home in silence. Most of the time, Sage liked to put in her headphones and listen to her iPod on a ride home. But she enjoyed the light breeze that evening, the faint scent of the sea as she biked away from La Push. Her thoughts felt like a blank slate now that they were filled with so much new information. She could hardly keep track. She couldn't keep focus. She was parking her bike outside the front steps of her house before she knew it.

Her back flopped against her mattress as soon as the door was locked. She should be looking at a textbook right now. She should be making dinner. She should be doing a million different things, but all she could hear was Sam's voice in her head over and over again.

Our pack.

Shapeshifters.

Imprinting.

Vampires.

They were all real. And they were around her. Everyday.

How could she be sure Sam was even telling the truth? He did say that people were believing the treaty to be some kind of legend. But there was something about his tone of voice ... the way Quil was assuring her ... She knew there had to be some truth to his claims. What use was there in lying about this? And who was she to question his history?

She made herself mac and cheese for dinner. She almost made herself a bowl of Count Chocula cereal but was then reminded of Sam's story yet again. So she decided mac and cheese was safe. But her mind was reeling, spitting out words like vampires, cold ones. They're all around you. She ate her dinner in silence at the small table in the kitchen before retiring to her room. She opened her textbook and started reading, but the words wouldn't stop. Shapeshifters. She's an imprint. Open up your eyes. For Blaire's sake.