SEVENTEEN

CHAPTER 17
ICING OUT

CHAPTER 17ICING OUT

THE silence on the ride home from the wedding was deafening

THE silence on the ride home from the wedding was deafening. Sage almost wished she rode with Jodie instead. And come Monday morning, Edward still hardly said a word to her, or offered her a ride to school. The tension was awkward and thick, too silent but too big to ignore. Sage decided it was in her best interest to ignore it, like she did with every other catastrophe in her life. But she couldn't help but quietly wonder if Edward's silence had anything to do with them almost breaking their one rule at the wedding. What other reason could there be?

Maybe she should just continue to be blissfully ignorant.

Blaire called on Wednesday night as Sage was finishing up some studying for her final exams, eager to know how the wedding went. "My mom wouldn't shut up about what all the old people did," she said through the phone speaker, "but I am much more interested in what happened with you."

"Maybe you should be more interested in what happened with your mom. What if this wedding that our parents went together to is the start of our possible sisterhood?"

"Please, we've been sisters long before that. Now, get to the juicy details."

Sage looked off and shrugged. "It was nice."

"'Nice?'" Blaire repeated with a scoff. "My mom said she saw you and Cullen almost all up on each other!"

Sage's eyes went wide. "I thought you weren't listening to what your mother said."

"I listen when she has something interesting to say, like that."

"Well, it doesn't matter, because nothing really happened," Sage replied, setting her pencil down and leaning back in her chair. "The wedding was great. I got to see my aunt. And no matter what Jodie saw, it can't happen anyway. Breach of contract."

"What the hell does that even mean, Sage?"

"I'd rather not get into it."

Blaire sighed through the speaker. "Maybe it's a good thing nothing happened –"