TWENTY

CHAPTER 20
MAKE MISTAKES

CHAPTER 20MAKE MISTAKES

HUGO tried to reason with his daughter for days

HUGO tried to reason with his daughter for days. After Sage divulged in everything she knew, making her dad pinky promise that he wouldn't say a word to anybody, he wouldn't stop badgering her about possibly moving again. "Maybe we could try somewhere in the Midwest," he suggested, pacing back and forth in front of her on the couch. "Vampires don't go to the Midwest, right? There's nothing in the Midwest, besides pests, which would mean my business would be booming –"

"I think vampires are everywhere, Dad," she sighed. "They're immortal, so they probably get around."

Hugo blinked. "Well, fuck." His pacing continued. "Then, where can we go? We need to get out of Forks, right? The Cullens have never hurt any humans though, or so they say. But there's ... a vampire army coming? So, therefore, we need to move. Like, yesterday."

Sage got to her feet and spun her dad to face her. "We can't just leave. This is a small town. Think about how that would make us look. And when things start running amuck once that army comes, we're going to look suspicious."

"Who cares?!" Hugo's hands slapped against his sides. "Are you suggesting we stay here while a large group of vampires invades town? I have wooden stakes up the yin yang, Sage, but not that much."

She tilted her head to the side. "Pretty sure that's just a myth at this point."

"Whatever."

Sage glanced away and began to chew on the edge of her nail. "Well ... we have friends in high places. The boys down at the La Push reservation will keep us safe, since I'm so close to Blaire."

"Oh, yeah," Hugo huffed, retiring to the couch, "we have to worry about werewolves too."

She quickly sat down beside him. "They'll help us, dad. We'll be safe." Looking down at her fidgeting hands, she then licked the corners of her lips. "We can't leave Forks. Especially, now. I'm graduating tomorrow, and I won't let some vampire army get in the way of it.