Forgotten [Marco/Reader]

Summary:
Ten years passed since they went to the island of Okuro. Ten years in which Marco never remembered to visit a certain person, a long forgotten memory in his mind.

Request
Tags:
Reunion, slight angst, children, hurt/comfort, fluff

____

Light blue sky holds a bright light that illuminates its surroundings beneath it. The lush forest swarms with greenery and animals alike while the small and cozy village remains a good distance away, not wanting to bother any of nature and wanting to preserve its natural state—also because forces that can't be handled live between the calm looking trees.

The cobblestone and sandy roads create a more dated ambience while the homes of the townspeople and shops look recently renewed with new wood decorating each front. And despite all that, everything looks exactly the same as then years ago.

The old well in the middle of town along with the broken wooden bucket laying next to it, the fields with produce where workers are diligently working on, the small bakery with the unhinged sign on its front, the flower shop that displays a wonderful arrangement of colorful flowers. And in the faraway distance Marco can spot the flower fields lurking just behind the hill, exactly how he remembers it.

An odd sense of nostalgia floods over him as he walks the cobblestone streets, marveling at the town and everything that stayed the same or changed over the course of years.

This island and town are a part of their territory, but they haven't been able to return here for a long time. Ten years that is. And Marco couldn't help but feel exited at the prospect of returning when Pops announced he should head over there along with some members from his division.

His men are jovially talking along, greeting the townspeople with large grins and promises to come back later for a drink. Seems like Marco doesn't need to entertain them after they finish their talk with the mayors of the island.

Which is a good thing because he has different plans when the formalities are finally over. The flower field behind the hill is his destination and he wants to see how much has changed in the years he hadn't seen it. It always was a stunning sight to see.

"Commander Marco," mayor Jarou, a small older man with grey hairs and a jet-black beard, greets before he nods towards his division members. "First division. Welcome back to the town of Hanasaku! It's been a long ten years hasn't it?"

"Indeed, it has," Marco agrees with a lazy smile. "The pirate life isn't an easy one, but now we're here, yoi. What was it you wanted to discuss?"

"Straight to business aye, I see you lot have quite the plans made to investigate this town once again." Jarou laughs loudly before softly adding, "who wouldn't with such a history."

It was low enough that Marco didn't overhear, only catching a bit of what the mayor said but ignores it in favor of starting the discussion they came here for.

Over the years the island of Okuro has been under attack. It's nothing too bad considering the island and its people carry Whitebeard's mark, but it's getting a bit annoying for islanders. That is the reason why the different towns of Okuro have decided to call for reinforcements. Every town's mayor gathered in Hanasaku and is patiently waiting for their arrival to discuss a way of dealing with the attacks.

Almost an hour later the meeting finished, however small talk is made and leads to Marco being more than up-to-date with the island and its inhabitants. It almost never happens that an island isn't visited that often so he needs to make use of his time here now. That starts with getting to know more about the island and what happened during the past years.