Qinghe was loud and everything that Xichen was unused to. People shouted and called as the carriage jolted over the stones, coming to a complete stop outside the Unclean Realm. They crowded around, eager to see which traitor had been brought into their midst.

When Xichen stepped out of the carriage, the crowd went silent. Even without his guan and expensive robes, there was no mistaking the ribbon across his forehead.

No Lan had been seen since the war began.

He was jostled and pushed, his guards making no attempt to stop the contempt of the common folk as he was led into the Unclean Realm. Xichen did his best to ignore the jeering, his heart stuttering to a stop when he saw the man who awaited them.

Wei Wuxian had grown up well over the years. He was dressed in black, the only colour on him a red ribbon that fluttered in the breeze. A scarlet tassel hung from the dizi that he twirled in his hands. A wild air hung around him, a harsh edge that made Xichen shudder. Something was not quite right with him.

"Zewu Jun."

The bow was mocking, the tone even more so. Xichen lowered his head, keeping his eyes on the ground. He bowed too, properly. If Wei Ying had been taken in by the Nie Sect, his status would be far higher than Xichen, who had no Sect.

"Wei gongzi."

"Where is Wen Qing?" Wei Wuxian addressed the man who had led Xichen to him, still twirling his dizi. His tone was subdued but something simmered within it that made the man tremble. The guard bowed quickly, his hands shaking.

"She stayed behind with her brother Wen Ning at the Lan residence. Something about taking care of Lan Wangji and Lan Qiren."

The sound of Wangji's name made something spark in Wei Wuxian's expression. He straightened, turning to Xichen.

"Lan Zhan. Is he well?"

Xichen swallowed. He did not know how much Wei Wuxian knew as he had been with the Jiang Sect at the time Cloud Recesses burned. Did he know that his zhiji would never walk again? Xichen had kept his brother away from the horrors of war, but he had also kept him from the only man he had ever loved.

"He wanted to fight," Wei Wuxian went on, "I know he would have. But you didn't let him."

Ah, so he knew nothing. There was no way Wangji could have fought in the war in his condition.

"You fled the Cloud Recesses when it burned and withdrew your sect from the war." Wei Wuxian's words grew more callous, cutting. His brows furrowed, teeth baring. Xichen's stomach pitched. He looked feral.

"Your younger brother stood in front of the Cloud Pavilion and fought while you ran."

Xichen did not fight him. What did it matter that he had been ordered to run? Wei Wuxian would not care. In his eyes, Lan Xichen should have been there. He should have been the one to kill Wen Xu for even laying hands on his brother. Should have been there to save his brother's legs from ruin.

"First in the cultivation world and you ran while others fought."

"Wangji was injured," Xichen cut in, the ache in his chest growing with every word. "He could not have fought."

"Then why didn't you?"

Xichen faltered and stopped. His disciples had been killed and the remaining wounded. He was not like Jiang Wanyin, whose exploits he had heard of. He was not strong. All he ever wanted was for his family to be safe, for there to be peace. It did not take long for him to decide what had to be done.