Xichen stumbled, nearly collapsing straight into Jiang Wanyin's arms. He was not expecting the man to be already awake. Dawn had just broken over the horizon when he appeared inside the house, trembling so hard that it was difficult to stand.

He lurched away from Jiang Wanyin, catching himself against the table.

"Zewu Jun?"

"Don't," Xichen muttered. "I am not him anymore."

Jiang Cheng blinked.

"Do you have a fever?" he asked brusquely. "Who else would you be?"

Xichen did not know how to explain that Zewu Jun felt like a stranger, a name for someone else so he kept silent as he caught his breath.

"Thank you, Jiang zongzhu for your help," he whispered, composing himself enough to bend forward into a bow.

Jiang Wanyin caught him again, his brows knitted into a fierce frown.

"Okay, I don't know what happened but you're definitely not alright. Did you at least enjoy yourself?"

Xichen exhaled when no other questions were forthcoming.

"Yes," he murmured, "it was a wonderful night."

"Good," Jiang Wanyin said. "Because Wei Wuxian is going to owe me so much for this."

Xichen smiled weakly, reaching up to undo the ribbons of his mask. He caught it as it fell, hugging it to his chest.

"You look different without your forehead ribbon," Jiang Wanyin muttered under his breath. A wail started up somewhere in the house, and he cursed, stalking away.

Xichen stroked the mask in his hands, unable to stop the smile from broadening in his face. He reached under his sleeve, intending to put his ribbon back on, but his hand touched only skin.

Panic welled up in Xichen's throat as he yanked up his sleeve in disbelief. His wrist was bare, empty of the ribbon that Shufu had wound there before he left.

Had he lost it while he was fleeing the Unclean Realm?

He had others but he had been hoping to keep that one together with his mask as a memento.

With a soft sigh, Xichen started towards his room. He still had to start breakfast after all.

Shufu appeared in the kitchen when he was back in his usual clothes, a new ribbon tied into place. Xichen sliced open a century egg, looking up with a smile.

"Good morning, Shufu," he said, dropping the eggs into the bowl of bubbling congee.

"Morning, Xichen. You're glowing," Shufu said approvingly. "I trust you enjoyed yourself?"

"I did. Thank you, Shufu for allowing me to attend," Xichen said, his tone earnest. "It was a wonderful night."

"Hmph. I hope it won't be too much of a hardship for you to return to our menial life," Shufu said as he poured tea. He looked much better that morning; his face lit by the morning sun filtering in from the kitchen windows and he must feel better if he was teasing.

"I'm happy to be here, Shufu," Xichen answered, tossing his diced carrots into the congee. "You look well."

"It must be your playing." Shufu took a sip of his tea, watching Xichen from the corner of his eye. "I feel better."

He wandered out to join Jiang Wanyin at the table with Jin Ling. Jin Ling was fussing when Xichen appeared with breakfast but stopped at once when a meat bun was handed to him.

"You'll spoil him," Jiang Wanyin complained, shaking his head when Jin Ling shoved the meat bun into his face.

"He is a Jin," Xichen said, chuckling. "I don't think a meat bun will do much, Jiang zhongzu."