十一

It was a dark and stormy afternoon when the cultivators arrived on their doorstep. Xichen's playing was cut short by the shouts of men echoing outside the home. He lowered his flute, exchanging looks with Wangji.

Wei Ying had gone to the door, muttering things about rude brothers and treachery.

"-stop yelling or I won't let you inside."

They heard him threaten. There was a low murmur and then the gates were slid open. Wangji peered out of the window, his face darkening.

"Who is it?" Xichen asked, setting aside his xiao.

Wangji shook his head, moving his guqin.

"Xiongzhang should stay here," he said, wheeling himself out of the room.

Xichen sat in his place, blinking in confusion. He went to the door, fully intending to follow Wangji.

But when he attempted to slide it open, he founded it locked from the outside.

A well of panic rose in his throat and he banged hard on the wooden panels, his limbs beginning to tremble.

"Wangji! Wangji, let me out!"

Why would Wangji lock him in? Who had been at the door that made his brother's face look as if he had seen a ghost? Were they in danger?

Xichen rattled the door hard, but it held in place. There was more banging, the sound of raised voices filtering through the walls and the panic grew wilder.

"Wangji!"

The last time he had been locked in, the Wen soldiers had come for Meng Yao. They stood at the door, banging and yelling while Xichen trembled in a tiny closet, praying that they would not find him. The memory was vivid, fear clawing its way to the surface as Xichen shook the door again, his knees turning to jelly.

"Wangji, let me out, please!"

Was this his punishment? Had he done something wrong? Why was no one answering?

Xichen slid to his knees before the locked door, gasping. His chest was too tight, his rib cage like a vice around his lungs. There was not enough air in the room.

He closed his eyes, willing himself into a meditative state.

Something banged loudly and his eyes shot open. Xichen scrambled to his feet as footsteps thudded on the floor outside. The door was wrenched open by Wei Ying, who was red in the face, as if he had been running.

"Look! He's been here the entire time! How could he possibly have enchanted Chifengzun?" he shouted to an unseen audience and Xichen's breath caught in his throat when Nie Mingjue himself stepped in his line of sight.

"I didn't say enchanted, you idiot," Mingjue said, rubbing a hand over his face.

"Zonghui implied it," Wei Ying thundered. "As if Xichen ge ever needed spells to hold someone's attention."

"Oh, for god's sake, shut up," Mingjue snapped. He turned his attention onto Xichen, whose knees were completely ready to give out on him. "Where were you the night of the banquet?"

Xichen blinked, opening his mouth. When no words came out, he cleared his throat, fisting his hands into his robes.

"H-here," he stammered, "Shufu was ill-."

"Then why," Mingjue interrupted, very slowly. "Do I have your forehead ribbon?" He drew out a silvery blue ribbon, embroidered with cloud motifs. The medallion was carved with clouds too, a symbol of the Gusu Lan clan.

Xichen inhaled. He felt faint. This could not be happening.

He grasped at the doorframe, swaying.

"How do you know it's his? Lan Zhan lost his too. It could be his. Or any other Lan who might have been there," Wei Ying said hotly.

That had to be a lie. Wangji had not taken off his forehead ribbon that night, not even to put on his mask. He had been there as a guest of Wei Ying's and had no reason to conceal his identity.

"Because it's exactly the same to this one."

Nie Mingjue yanked up his sleeve, revealing another ribbon tied to his bracer, this one faded with age. It was more silver than blue, the medallion dulled.

Xichen's heart stopped beating. The world fell away as he stared at the ribbon, raising a trembling hand to touch it. Mingjue let him, his expression softening.

"You kept it," Xichen murmured, his voice thick with emotion.

"I did," Mingjue answered, his eyes searching Xichen's face. "I never stopped thinking about you."

Xichen choked, tears burning behind his eyes. He gripped Mingjue's arm, fingers tracing over the old ribbon with reverence.

"That night," he whispered, "you said I reminded you of someone."

"It was you," Mingjue breathed, "it was you all along."

He grasped Xichen's other arm, squeezing. Xichen's heart felt as if it might jump right out of his throat, when Mingjue pulled him closer.

"You said I'd be disappointed," Mingjue said, his gaze dropping to Xichen's lips.

"Are you?" Xichen asked, barely above a whisper.

His blood was roaring in his ears, heat rushing through his veins.

"How could I? When it's you?"

Mingjue's large palm cupped his cheek and then he was kissing him, a shaky desperate kiss that sent warmth curling through Xichen's chest. It was everything like the night they shared and more. He clung to him, tears streaking down his face, tasting salt on his lips.

Mingjue pulled away first, wrapping his arms around Xichen's waist in a hug.

"Lan Huan," he whispered. "A-Huan, don't cry. Forgive me, my heart. I should have fought harder for you. For us."

Xichen sniffled. He raised his head to see his uncle standing behind Mingjue, with a look of utter delight on his face.

"There is nothing to forgive. You did what had to be done," he murmured, wiping at his eyes. "Sorry, I'm just-."

"Overwhelmed?" The pad of Mingjue's thumb was rough as he wiped the tears from Xichen's face. He had the fondest look on his face, as if he was recalling the moment in the alleyway.

"I don't have- a Sect. O- or bridewealth," Xichen said.

"None of that matter," Mingjue said. He could not keep his hands off him, his thumb tracing the corner of Xichen's lips. "I have enough for both of us."

"But your elders-."

"Will just have to suck it up and deal with it," Mingjue cut him off with a grin that sent Xichen's heart fluttering in his chest. He reached behind him, taking Xichen's ribbon tails in his hand.

Xichen's cheeks flushed red when he kissed them, followed quickly by Shufu's scandalised gasp.

"Alright, enough."

"With all due respect, Master Lan. He did just kiss Xichen ge on the lips," Wei Ying said with a smirk tugging on his lips.

"You will court him properly; do you hear me?" Lan Qiren said huffily, reaching out to drag Xichen out of Mingjue's arms. "My nephew deserves the world, after everything that has happened."

"Yes, he does," Mingjue agreed. "I will give him every star in the sky if he wants."

The only stars Xichen wanted were the stars in Mingjue's eyes as he regarded him, offering his arm. Xichen took it, laughing when Mingjue swooped down to kiss him again, in front of everyone.