"This isn't mine, Xiongzhang," Wangji frowned at the mirror as Xichen stroked a comb through his hair. His mouth was full of pins as he wound up Wangji's hair, carefully weaving the hair through the dragon guan.

It had been one of his favourites, a gift from Shufu when he was named Sect Leader, but it looked right sitting atop Wangji's head with all its dangerously sharp prongs.

"Never mind that," Xichen said, lifting Wangji's forehead ribbon. Wangji held the medallion in place as he tied it, hiding the ends under cascading black locks. "It looks good on you."

"Those aren't mine either," Wangji frowned when Xichen held up the robes.

"Yours were yellowed and the one blue one you owned is not formal enough," Xichen said. "Try it."

Wangji eyed the robes dubiously before accepting them into his lap. He wheeled himself behind a screen and Xichen settled onto the bed, stroking a hand over the xiao he had removed from the attic. He still had not played it. There was never enough time, but he supposed he could indulge himself a little that night and play it for Shufu to sleep.

Xichen's breath caught when there was movement around the screen and Wangji wheeled himself out, looking like a vision already. The shoulders looked a little too loose, for Xichen was broader than he but it was a fixable problem. He held out the slate grey outer robe, watching Wangji's eyes widen at the sight of it.

"Xiongzhang-."

"I want you to have it," Xichen said firmly. "Qinghe will be cold and even though you can use your golden core, I want you have this, just in case."

"But you love this one."

"I won't ever wear it again, Wangji. Don't let it go to waste. Go try it on."

Seeing Wangji in his old robes nearly brought tears to his eyes. He looked like a completely different person, like his old self again.

"Xiongzhang."

"You look wonderful, Wangji," Xichen breathed, just as Shufu knocked on the door. Wangji's cheeks were tinted the faintest pink as he balled up the fabric in his lap.

"Thank you, Xiongzhang," he said earnestly.

"Hmph. It's a little big," Shufu said when he peeked in, but his eyes were sparkling with pride.

"I can fix it," Xichen said, rising to take a walk around Wangji. "Wei gongzi is going to have a fit."

Indeed. Wei Wuxian was rendered speechless the moment he stepped past the doorway with Wangji's mask and a bouquet of gentians. Xichen was not sure he was even breathing as he took in the sight.

"Lan Zhan," he said after a long, long pause. "You look beautiful."

The tips of Wangji's ears turned pink, his hands folding into the skirt of his robes as Wei Wuxian crossed the room.

"Wei Ying looks lovely as well," he murmured.

"These- these are your ge's robes," Wei Ying said, turning his head to stare at Xichen. Xichen nodded, smiling.

"I hope his mask will match," he said earnestly. "I know Wangji used to wear whites, but he is of the age to wear proper Lan blues. And he should."

"It should. I went with white, but it has blue jewels."

Wei Wuxian produced a stunning white mask, dotted with real sapphires from his sleeve. It had the most intricate carvings along the edges, sparking with silver thread. A long blue ribbon trailed from its back, an almost exact match to Wangji's forehead ribbon.