Chapter 4

"Hey" Ben said sitting down next to me with his food when I went back to the main hall. Everyone was gone but him.

"What are you still doing here?" I asked.

"Waiting for you to come back" He answered.

"Why is that?" I asked.

"Because I didn't want you to eat alone" He answered.

"Where's the guard at?" I replied looking around the room not seeing Camille anywhere.

"She went to take them back to the room or wherever they wanted to wonder off to when they got done eating" He responded.

"Okay that was a violation" I said. He shrugged.

"I haven't been bitten or scratched. I think I'll be okay. Plus you're here so if I was I don't think I'd stand a chance against you" He replied. I laughed.

"Maybe" I responded. He smiled.

"Who is spencer?" He asked.

"The leader here. He was also James's brother" I answered.

"Okay" He said taking a bite.

"What jealous?" I asked joking.

"Little bit" He replied shrugging his shoulders.

"But you barely know me" I responded. He sat back in his chair and looked at me.

"Not yet but I don't have to know you to feel jealous" He said.

"I wouldn't know. I haven't felt jealous before so" I replied.

"Hopefully you won't have to" He responded.

"So how are you liking it here so far?" I asked changing the subject.

"I like it. I keep thinking it's a dream honestly" He answered.

"You'll get use to it" I replied taking a bite of the food.

"Do you want a drink?" He asked.

"Sure" I answered. He got up and went over to the drinks.

"What would you like?" He replied.

"Probably water since it's almost lights out" I responded.

"What time is it?" He replied.

"Don't know but I'd say we have half hour max before we have to turn in because of how dark it's getting in here. They don't turn any lights on in the bigger buildings. The only place with lights on at this time is the clinic but that's the most important place to have them on in" I responded.

"Yeah I'd figure" He said coming back over here with two waters and sitting down.

"If you need a light there is a flashlight on the nightstands in the room. I've had to use them some nights when I wake up having to go to the bathroom or needed a drink" I replied.

"Good to know" He responded.

"During the winter time we have these heated blankets and heavier clothing to keep warm. That was what we were looking for on our last run but we didn't get far" I said randomly.

"What about blizzards?" He asked.

"We gather in the main building where there is a fire place. We don't normally worry about the dead because of how bad it gets out there" I answered. He nodded.

"How much longer do we have in until it starts?" He replied.

"Maybe a month and a half" I responded.

"Are you guys stocked up good enough for the winter?" He asked.

"I'd say so. Our pantry is over stuffed. We actually have three of them and there is another closet that we keep food in" I answered. He nodded.

"We have eyes on another sam's club but we need more people to go out to get it. It's a huge building. Bigger than the last two" I added.

"Do you have the truck to get the stuff out from there?" He replied.

"We do. We usually raid everything. Clothes. Paper products. Food" I responded.

"When are you going there?" He said.

"Most likely in a week or two depending on if we can spare the people for it" I replied.

"I want to be there for it" He responded.

"Why?" I asked.

"I want to contribute to this place as fast as possible. You took us in and saved us" He answered.

"And that is why I thought you would be a good fit for the missions" I replied. He smiled. I took another bite of food. He opened his drink and took a big gulp of it.

"Can't wait for our days here to be up" He said.

"I think you should enjoy it while it lasts because we don't get days off" I replied. He shrugged.

"It's getting late Angie" Derrick said coming in.

"I'll be there in a moment" I replied. He nodded and left the room. I stood up grabbing my plate and throwing it away. Ben followed me and we walked to the rooms. We stopped at my door.

"Thanks for waiting for me" I said.

"Anytime" He replied. He bent down and kissed my cheek. He walked to his door and went inside of it. I touched my cheek and smiled going into the room. I went to the bed by the wall and got into it. I smiled and closed my eyes.