~27~

A few perfectly undisturbed weeks followed. Peace and calm reigned in the castle, hushing our worries, lulling us into an illusion of this world without the Council, without those working unceasingly against us, trying to destroy our happiness.

Vlad taught me archery himself, as he had promised. At first it was worse than trying to learn from Lucas, because Vlad's closeness was maddeningly distracting. His hands on my hips to steady me whenever I drew back, his nimble fingers over mine when he showed me how to change a broken bow string, or his lips too close to my ear when he checked my aim, made me miss the straw-filled sack a hundred times before I resolved to banish him to the other end of the courtyard during our practice, and watch me from a distance. Then I finally managed to hit the bag, making the golden stems rain through the air, at least as often as I missed it.

We rode to the village, visiting the priest together, and the honest man confirmed that he would help us, if we could offer him a suitable place on neutral ground, somewhere between the castle and the village to perform the weddings. His promise made Vlad shine with joy and my heart soared seeing him so happy.

But our freedom did not last too long. Soon after the last snow had melted and we were considering starting with the restoration of the chapel by the lake, the first members of the Council, faithful to Rareş' promise to keep an eye on us, appeared in the castle. There were never more than two of them at the same time, coming on one pretence or another, keeping me and Vlad apart during the days, but they usually did not linger for more than a few days at the time.

On such days, when Vlad was kept busy with our visitors, I was allowed to leave the castle with Lucas and a couple of Guards, finally getting an occasion to teach my friend to ride a horse properly. It didn't take him long to learn, Lucas seemed to be a natural in everything.

"What do you think the Council will do once they find out about this?" Lucas asked me one early spring afternoon when we rode all the way to the lake.

I shrugged, leaning closer above Frost's neck, caressing his head and running my fingers through his snow-white mane soothingly, as he stomped impatiently while Lucas and I observed the old chapel from across the lake.

The small, mixed group of men from the village and our Guards had taken most of the crumbling walls apart, and now were getting ready to start building it up again. They were so used to the wolf pack accompanying me every time I came here, that they simply smiled at hearing the multitude of paws treading through the grass growing in the cool shadows under the trees. Most of them paused in their work for a moment to bow, welcoming us.

I waved to them before I replied to Lucas, "I don't know, nothing, I hope."

He shook his head, observing me from his tall, chocolate-brown horse standing at Frost's side. "Do you really believe that? I don't know your Council as well as you do, Samara, but I'm sure that they won't let this pass unnoticed, there will be a fight..."

I pulled on Frost's reins, making him turn around and walk back towards the castle, watching his hooves disappear in the new grass.

"I... don't want to think about it now." I said. You know well that he is right. My subconscious whispered unhelpfully.

"Me neither, but... Just remember that this," he said, motioning towards the remnants of the chapel behind our backs, "will have consequences."

"But if we don't do this, then Vlad will never even consider coming home with me, to Aurora... He would never leave this place as it is now." I muttered, feeling the tears prickle the corners of my eyes, knowing well that 'this' had been my idea, and was now my responsibility.

"I'm not saying it is a wrong thing to do, I love the idea actually, it will change the lives of so many here," Lucas said, bringing his gloved hand gently over mine holding Frost's reins, "I just... want you to be prepared... for all possible results... and losses. Your Lord Vlad keeps you a little too... sheltered and uninformed. I simply want you to keep your eyes open."