Part 18 - Falling for a God that isn't even his

The earring lay teasingly on the desk amongst the papers, glimmering in the sun as Childe filled out forms and read over correspondence and notes sent between Harbingers. It's not like he cared much about what was going on in the other regions, and it wasn't really his business anyway; for the time being, he was simply a man working in a bank and occasionally hunting people down. Also for the time being, he was focusing that he may be, much to his own surprise, actually falling in love - with a god that isn't even his.

Yes, he had actually fallen for Zhongli, he decided as he picked the earring up and tried it on, his own red jeweled one that he wore usually discarded haphazardly to the side; he looked at his reflection in antique mirror which was now hung up, the jewel blending with his hair. It reminded him of Zhongli's eyes, so deep, glowing and mysterious, yet so kind and caring. At once, Childe decided to set out and buy a matching one for the man in question, perhaps finally managing to get somewhere in whatever their relationship was at this point.

With a light skip and no other words, he slowly walked out of the bank, hopping down multiple stairs at a time; it was midday, he realised, sun glaring up above and basking the people around him in a glow; he decided to head towards the docks first, passing by Wanmin Restaurant to pick up lunch.

The restaurant was, well, filled to the brim with... teenagers; amongst them, Childe made out Venti's hat, bobbing up and down as he sat amongst the kids. There were 6 of them in total, and Childe suddenly recognised Hu Tao's long, red stained pigtails swaying behind her. Venti peeked up and stared directly at Childe before frantically hushing the group down, subtle laughter erupting between them as the Harbinger approached them. Hu Tao was the first to stand up, hopping up onto the table behind her.

"Hey there, Childe!" she called out as the Harbinger came into hearing distance, six pairs of eyes falling on him with... odd looks, all of them almost smirking as they looked at him and amongst themselves. Childe chose not to question it.

"Hey, um, everyone," Childe chuckled awkwardly, raising his hand in a subtle wave as all eyes fell back on him, "aren't you working today, Hu Tao?" The young director laughed hysterically.

"Hehe, lunch break! Besides, Zhongli's handling my stuff today!" she explained, gesticulating wildly and almost hitting the two blue haired boys beside her, "oh, these are my friends by the way! I assume you already know Xiangling since you and Zhongli go on dates here."

"They're not dates," Childe protested, grossing his hands over his chest with a pout, "what about the rest?"

"Chongyun is the one in the hoodie, and the one clinging to him is Xingqiu, and then beside me here is Xinyan," Hu Tao explained excitedly, pointing to everyone as she spoke their names; she reached for some grilled fish and passed it to him, "here, I know you're here for lunch. It's on me."

"Thanks," Childe smiled, taking a bite of the freshly grilled tiger fish, "tasty as always, thank you Xiangling." The chef smiled widely.

"So where are you headed?" Hu Tao spoke up after a second, casting a sideways look at Venti.

"Oh, uhm, buying a gift. You wouldn't happen to know where I could buy custom made earrings?" Hu Tao giggled.

"Childe, with all due respect," one of the blue haired boys, Xingqiu, spoke up, "there is literally a jewelry store right next to the Bank. I suggest you check there." The Harbinger flushed slightly as he looked back in the bank's general direction.

"O-oh. Yeah, uh, thanks Xingqiu," he smiled awkwardly, scratching the back of his neck, "I'll be headed out now, uh, bye!"

"Oh, if you see Zhongli today, remind him that I still need downpayment for my concert!" Xinyan shouted as Childe walked away; the Harbinger turned on his feet, shot her a quick thumbs up, and walked away in the other direction. Hu Tao turned back around.