Think Fast

Think Fast.

A quick arm movement on my part and I snatch a branch before I pass it. I make a silent grunt as my arm strains at the jerk downward.

I bite my lip and reach up with my other arm. I grab the branch and flip onto it. I gotta move, I gotta get out of here. I didn't make too much noise but leaves might have fallen.

I hide quickly behind the trunk of a tree and hold my breath as I look to where Dick was. He's looking up at the branches, searching for me probably.

"Sawyer? Is that you?" Dick asks.

I want to scoff and laugh. What, was he expecting me to actually answer that? I'm tempted to say it was just a squirrel.

I look around for an escape route. I see one but I'll have to do it while he's looking the other way. I grab a stick and ball it up then look over my shoulder.

Dick was climbing up now.

"You know, if you aren't here, I'm gonna feel really stupid" Dick says.

I snicker inwardly then turn and throw the stick wall.

It goes through the branches then lands.

"Ha!" Dick says jumping down.

I grin and jump away. I run and gracefully jump from branch to branch. I run for a while then stop to look around. I'm hardly winded as I look around. The training I've been doing is helping me so much that I feel like I could go on like this for days!

"Sawyer!" I hear under me. I look down and see Jason.

"Oh hey!" I say.

I can tell already that running through the forest is not his cup of tea. Since he hasn't climbed up yet, I'm assuming that he doesn't like running through trees.

Jason sneezes and I crouch down.

"Allergies?" I ask.

"You have no idea," He says, wiping his nose. "Now get down here and run like a man!"

I grin "Nope, if you want to tag me, come up here and tag me, "like a man"."

He glares at me. "Fine, I just don't want to get in trouble when I smack you off the tree."

"Sure" I say.

He might not like running through trees but he can climb just as fast as Dick. I turn and jump away.

He pulls himself onto the branch I was on and points at me. "Get ready Soy sauce"

"Sawyer equals soy sauce?" I ask snorting.

"Whatever, I'm working on a nickname still" He says jumping for me.

I backflip over him and land on his shoulders then jump up and onto another branch above me.

I start to run away with him chasing me.

We run through the trees but I seem to very nimbly avoid all of his attacks and the branches, while he gets hit by the occasional branch with leaves.

I can't say I'm not enjoying myself. This might be training but it's a loads of fun. No one would play tag with me when I was younger. They were all busy strategizing about ways to steal from the bank.

I see a flash of Dick to my side and jump up. This couldn't have been more perfect. Dick and Jason collide heads first and fall to the ground.

I stand on a branch way above them and laugh.