꧁𝗜𝘁'𝘀 𝗔𝗹𝗹 𝗧𝗼𝗼 𝗠𝘂𝗰𝗵꧂

Linda cupped her hands around a warm cup of tea as she, Barbara and Susan sat in Susan's childhood sitting room. The atmosphere was bleak, silent. Susan looked like a ghost, completely pale. The only sound that could be heard was some noise coming from the kitchen and the clock ticking slowly on the wall.

Susan's grandmother, a pure soul, had passed away the night before in her sleep. The doctors said it was due to old age. Susan was absolutely devastated of course, and her mother Elizabeth was seemingly holding it all together, staying strong for her children. Daniel was nowhere to be seen, hiding away in his room. Linda felt so much sympathy for the family. Especially Susan who had been through so much recently. She was never getting a break anymore.

Susan's mother Elizabeth walked in with some biscuits and sat down beside her daughter, giving everyone a warm smile.

"Thank you for coming you two." She said to Linda and Barbara.

"Please, it's the least we could do," Barbara replied, sounding quite drained herself. She would have known Susan's grandmother quite well considering she used to go to the house all the time when she was younger.

Elizabeth forced a smile. "Help yourself." She said, putting the biscuits down on the table.

Linda glanced at Barbara, knowing they both hadn't eaten that morning. The glance was reciprocated as neither one of them were strong enough to reach out for one.

"Now." Elizabeth started with a breath but didn't say anything else. She blinked and revived the smile. "Blimey, it's a bit cold, isn't it?"

Linda and Barbara provided a supportive smile back. It was cold, indeed.

"I guess." Elizabeth's smile cracked a little. "I'll have to start planning the funeral."

Susan turned her head slightly in her mother's direction. "So soon?" She asked, her voice quiet and hollow.

"Well, yes." Elizabeth looked at her daughter with sympathy. "She can't stay in the morgue forever." She said with a little laugh. Susan turned away, returning to her blank shell. Elizabeth sighed and turned back to the two girls. "Have any of your..?"

Barbara shook her head, Linda nodded. "My grandmother passed away years ago." She revealed. "I was quite young though so I don't really remember."

"Death... it's all too much." Elizabeth shook her head. The room went silent, the clock ticking away. "Oh god." She forced a laugh. "It must be so hard you two sitting in here."

"Honestly, we want to be here," Barbara assured with a warm expression, Linda nodding along. "Your mum was already an angel. Only now, she's got her wings." Elizabeth quickly wiped away a sneaky tear. "I remember when she chased me and Susan around the garden with a pan because we had your pants on our heads."

They laughed, even Susan had a creeping grin slivering across her lips. "You two were so naughty." Elizabeth laughed. "I'm surprised she made it this far actually."

More laughter, now Susan couldn't hold back the smile. "We had her on ropes all the time." Barbara chortled.

꧁꧂

Hours later, the girls were finally leaving the house. Although having a laugh and reminiscing, Susan still seemed under the weather. Barbara turned to her.

"Hey, why don't we all go out for some dinner?" She offered.

Susan shook her head, forcing a smile. "Honestly, I'm fine. I think it'd be best if I just went home." She said.

Barbara didn't insist like she usually did. Instead, she and Linda watched Susan get into the backseat of a car, a chauffeur driving her away.

"Well..." Barbara took a deep breath, exhaling heavily. She smiled at Linda. "Just us then." Linda didn't look so optimistic. Barbara sighed. "Not you too."