Befriending Zoya

Aethra P.O.V

I didn't realise that I didn't have any clothes to wear until after Genya had left. I looked around the room to see if there was a closet or something. Thankfully, when I looked at the bed I found a blue kefta without any embroidery. Genya must have left it.

I took a bath and quickly dressed, putting my messy hair into a ponytail and walking out. Now there was a problem, I didn't know where to go!  Genya hadn't told me where the dining hall was. Now what?

Ok I am- was a tracker, so I can find my way right? Right

 Turns out that I didn't have to because I saw a squaller-I think- walking so fast that I had to jog to keep up. He led me to dinner.

I didn't have to find my own way after all. It's all because of my intelligence.

Walking in was the most awkward thing ever. The minute I stepped in, everyone turned to look at me, including General Kirigan. I am not generally a shy person, but at that moment, I felt embarrassed that everyone was looking at me.

I saw Zoya motioning me over with an empty seat at her side.

Oh, thank the saints! The lords! The heavens and the gods!

I walked over very fast and sat next to her. After a few minutes, the hall went back to normal. I looked at Zoya and said "Thank you" with a smile. She just nodded and continued eating.What was wrong with her?

The next few minutes answered that. A tidemaker and Inferni were talking about Zoya, in a bad way. 

Who on earth was stupid enough to gossip about someone in a place where they can hear you?

They were talking about how mean Zoya was and how she was obsessed with the darkling.Zoya clenched her fists, trying to control her anger. That was when I noticed. Everyone was either friendly or enemies with Zoya. She didn't have any close friends. I liked Zoya, so-

"Do you want to be my friend?" I asked, holding my hand out.

"What?" Zoya asked, confusion masking her features.

"I asked if you wanted to be my friend. I'm trying to make some." I said, hoping that she'll accept.

If she says no, then I will smile and nod in a way that will preserve my dignity.

"Yes?"

Did she ask me or tell me? I must have looked confused because she looked at me and said-"Yes" again, shaking my hand

I smiled at her and she smiled back.

I had made another friend.We spent the rest of dinner talking. Turns out that her room was quite close to mine. She told me about all the important people in the palace. Ivan, the guy in the purple kefta I had seen earlier was called David, Fedyor, who was another heartrender, and General Kirigan among others.

We had just finished our dinner and we were going to go to my room when Fedyor came up to me.

"Hello Aethra, I'm Fedyor. I don't think we have met before but Ivan told me about you." He said smiling at me"It's nice to meet you Fedyor. Please don't trust what Ivan says, he doesn't seem to like me very much"Fedyor laughed "Don't worry, I only take in the information he gives, not his opinions. Anyway, General Kirigan has asked you to meet him in his room."

My smile dropped immediately

"Oh no, why is the darkling calling me?" I asked Zoya and Fedyor worriedly"Hey don't worry, it's probably about your powers or something," Fedyor said reassuringly"Ok, if you say so," I said, still worried."Don't worry. And go to his room quickly, he doesn't like it if someone's late. And, don't call him 'the darkling'." Zoya said"I'll wait in your room alright?"

"Ok," I said following Fedyor to general Kirigan's room. He left me at the door and whispered a "Good luck" before walking away.

What am I going to do?!?!?! Ok Aethra, calm down. Just fake it, till you make it.

I knocked on the door and waited.

"Come in" the darkling's voice answeredI walked in with fake confidence. That's another good thing about me, I'm an excellent actress.It was freezing cold inside the general's room. It was very different from the rest of the warm, welcoming palace.

"Ah Aethra, how are you settling in? Everything is fine isn't it?" he asked, not looking at me.

"Fine" I answered with a rude tone, not forgetting how he changed my whole life without my permission.He turned and looked at me with narrowed eyes "It would be better if you were more respectful, after all, I am your general.""Ok"'Ok, sir; He corrected. It looked like he was having fun."Ok sir," I said through gritted teeth"Good," he said, looking annoyingly satisfied."I called you here to discuss your powers. What all can you control?""I can control water, earth, air, and fire too, and sometimes solid things move as well" I answered"Okay, bend this for me," he said, pointing to a square piece of metal on his table.

Why was there a piece of metal on his table?

I did as he said. The piece of metal bent slowly and since the general never asked me to stop, I didn't. The metal continued bending until it became a ball. I would have gone on, but the general stopped me.
"That's enough," He said, looking at me "Control the water in that jug now."

I did that too. The water from the jug swirled gracefully in the air before falling back into the the jug, not even one drop spilling.

"Excellent" he said, looking very interested

"Day after tomorrow, I don't want you to go to Baghra. You will come here instead and I will teach you how to control your powers. Understood?" he asked"Ok, but-"I started but he interrupted"Good. You may leave now. You will get your kefta tomorrow""But-" he looked at me in a scary way, silencing me immediately.A shiver ran up my spine, and I quickly turned and walked out, heaving a sigh of relief when I was away from his room.

I soon reached my room, pushing the doors open and falling on the bed face first. Zoya was sitting on the other edge of the bed watching me.

"What happened?" she asked"Nothing great. He asked me about my powers and asked me to show him. Then he told me not to go to Baghra and to go to him instead." I said

"Go to him for what?" Zoya asked

"For training"

"Really?" she asked, a hint of jealousy in her voice.

"Yes, I wish I could train with Baghra."

"You wouldn't wish that if you had met her"

"Is she really that bad?"

"She's worse"

We spent a lot of time talking about everything- her life, my life, the little palace, the grand palace, the general, rumours and more. Zoya was a nice person if you got to know her a bit.  Soon, we both fell asleep on the bed together, both tired out from the day's events.

For some reason, I just couldn't forget the creepy look that the general gave me. What on earth could it mean? And why did I have to train with him?

Thank you for reading!!!

Thank you @kelseydix07, @X0marryam0X, @Imeralrs, and @Shadow_Charm for voting for the previous chapter!!!

Please vote and comment if you like the story!!! 

So far this story has gotten only 18 votes. If you like the book, then please help me increase the votes and comments

Thank you,

Athena <3