Anything with Atoms

The next day passed by quickly. Aethra had settled in at the little palace. Zoya, Genya, Fedyor had become her close friends and even Ivan had gotten more friendly with her. The general hadn't talked to her after their meeting in his room the previous day. Aethra was developing an interest in the mysterious man and he seemed to be developing an interest in her too. Aethra's training sessions with the general would begin the next day and Aethra was eager to learn how to control her powers.

Her kefta arrived the next day. It was purple with golden embroidery. It was beautiful, but it made her stand out because no one else had a kefta like her. Zoya, Genya, and Fedyor had told her that purple was the colour of the materialki and that golden embroidery was special, different from the rest. It made her feel good, although she wouldn't tell anyone that.

She spent the whole day normally. She chatted with Genya while the other two were away at practice and when Zoya and Fedyor came back, they all sat together in Aethra's room. Fedyor and Aethra spent a long time trying to make Zoya and Genya become friends because the two women didn't like each other at all.

Zoya thought Genya was just a maid while Genya thought Zoya was arrogant and rude. After a little bit of persuasion, the two agreed to give each other a chance and be friendly with each other.

Aethra also wrote a letter to her parents, explaining everything that happened in the past few days. She told them not to worry and that she was okay at the little palace. She missed her parents and hoped she would see them again sometime, although she knew it would be unlikely. She wrote a letter to Carina too, telling her about her friends and powers.

That night, Aethra slept peacefully, her dreams filled with the darkling, in his black kefta and with his cloak flowing behind him but when she woke up the next morning, she didn't remember her dreams at all. Not even a bit.

***********************************

-The Next Day in Aethra's P.O.V-

I woke up early in the morning. I was so excited! Soon I'll be able to control my powers like all the Grisha in the little palace. I have to impress the general, he should think of me as one of the best Grisha. Then I can be among his top soldiers, like how Zoya. Fedyor and Ivan are.

I dressed up and came down to breakfast earlier than yesterday. Zoya was already sitting there, and so was Ivan. Fedyor was nowhere to be seen. Genya was in the grand palace with the queen. I walked over to the Etherealki table and said a quick 'Good morning' to her.

"Good morning Aethra. The general told me that he will meet you at exactly ten-thirty today" She said

"Okay, It's only eight now, I've got plenty of time" I replied,

"I have to go sit at the materialki table now because the general decided to give me a purple kefta" I groaned

"You should ask him about your kefta too. I'm very curious to know why he gave you a purple kefta instead of a blue one. Did you notice that your purple is different?"

"Yeah, think it's a little darker than the rest."

"Exactly."

"I'm going to the materialki table now, see you later"

She smiled and nodded and watched me as I walked to the next table. I sat next to David. He smiled at me and said-

"Hello Aethra, good morning."

"Good morning David" I replied with a smile

If you're nice to me, then I'm nice to you

Maybe I could ask him how he controlled his powers, then I might be able to control my powers better.