The Darkling's Demise

"No way!" Aethra said stepping back only to trip over her own feet and fall. Feeling a blush creep onto her face in embarrassment, she shook her head at him from the floor

"No way am I sleeping with- I mean-no way am I sleeping in the same room as you!"

"I wasn't asking, darling" he replied, with a smirk "Now lie down and sleep"

Aethra involuntarily shuddered. The darkling walked up to her and practically dragged her to his bed. Pushing her onto it, he walked away sitting at his desk and going through something.

"Go to sleep, tomorrow's going to be a long day," he said and Aethra despite not wanting to sleep there, was overcome by sleep and tiredness and was soon fast asleep.

When the general saw her sleeping soundly on his bed, he smiled contentedly and continued with his work.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When Aethra woke up the next morning, Kirigan was nowhere to be found. She glanced to her side and saw that it looked neat with no indication that someone had slept there.

'Maybe he didn't sleep on the bed' She mused

A servant came up to her as soon as she got up.

"The general asked you to get ready and go down for breakfast. Your clothes have been brought here for you" she said pointing to Aethra's kefta and some clothes lying on a chair

"Okay thank you" Aethra replied

When she walked into Kirigan's bathroom, she was met by a huge tub.

"Being the general guarantees a bigger tub huh?" she said to herself and smiled despite everything that was going on

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A few hours later, they were in the first army camp near the fold. Aethra stood in Kirigan's tent, silently watching various Grisha come in and out. Would Carina still be here? It was too late to return to her previous life. If only she had been more careful.

Where were Genya and Zoya? Where was Fedyor? Would they also believe that Kirigan was right like David did?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Aethra felt numb as she watched Kirigan demolish an entire city in front of her eyes. She watched without moving as he killed a diplomat who spoke up against him. She couldn't do anything. Her hands were being held apart by David's chains. She couldn't use her powers. Her eyes filled with tears of frustration. She hated being helpless.

Zoya kept glancing at her, looking at the chains as though she wanted to free Aethra. But she didn't move. Alina had told her about her meeting with Genya. Was there anyone who was really her friend?

A sliver of hope entered her as she watched Mal and another girl burst into the scene and attack Kirigan. A second later, her hands were free and she looked up to see Zoya looking at her. Zoya nodded and both of them turned to fight Kirigan. Zoya tried to control the wind and get them out of the fold and Aethra controlled the knife of the woman who had attacked Kirigan and plunged it into his back. He turned to her looking betrayed and she felt her heart ache when she looked at his face.

The darkling moved his hands and she was surrounded by shadows. As she tried to fight the darkness around her, a burst of light drove the shadows away. Turning toward the light, she saw Alina expanding the sphere of light around her.

She looked at Zoya who was already looking at her. They both smiled at each other and then at Alina, who smiled back.

"I was trying to save us," Aleksander said, looking at both Alina and Aethra as Mal pulled him overboard. Mal would come back up but Aleksander wouldn't.

Aethra's eyes filled with tears again and slid down her cheeks. Zoya and Alina both put a hand on her shoulder. Both of them exchanged looks of pity and sadness for their friend

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Aethra, Alina, Mal, Zoya, and the crows(Aethra learned about them from Alina) sat in a field together.

Alina took off her hairpiece and gave it to Kaz. The hairpiece was going to buy Inej's(Aethra found out that it was the name of the girl with the knife) freedom.

Aethra was wearing a huge jewel-studded hairpiece too. She offered the hairpiece and Kaz, with a tiny smirk of satisfaction, took it from her

Zoya was going to east Ravka to see if her family survived the attack. Aethra volunteered to go with her. She wanted to go with her best friend. They could stop at Aethra's parents' house too. Zoya smiled widely and nodded.

They all went their separate ways, with Aethra hugging Alina and telling her that they would see each other again soon before saying goodbye.

As Aethra walked along with Zoya, she felt both sad and happy at the darkling's demise.

Even though she still loved him with her whole heart, it was a relief to know that he was gone.

If only she knew that he was still alive...

OKAY GUYS THIS IS IT! THE END OF THE BOOK! THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR READING! IF YOU LIKE THE BOOK THEN MAKE SURE YOU VOTE FOR ALL THE CHAPTERS. ALSO, THIS BOOK ISN'T OVER! THE MINUTE THE SECOND SEASON OF SHADOW AND BONE COMES OUT I'LL CONTINUE.

I KNOW THIS ENDING/CHAPTER IS A LITTLE BORING AND I'M SORRY FOR THAT. THANK YOU SO MUCH TO ALL OF THOSE PEOPLE WHO HAVE SUPPORTED THIS BOOK ♥. I LOVE YOU ALL!

ONCE AGAIN, THANK YOU! YOUR GRATEFUL AUTHOR,

ATHENA ♥