𝟐𝟖 | 𝐢'𝐦 𝐠𝐨𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐰𝐢𝐭𝐡 𝐲𝐨𝐮

I've returned to reality from my deep thoughts, my attention was drawn to the game on the field

I've returned to reality from my deep thoughts, my attention was drawn to the game on the field. Atkins, whose injuries were lighter than Cooper's, so could play today, kicked the ball up, which hit Otto.

"Do your slanted eyes keep you from seeing the ball?" Atkins mocked him loudly so everyone could hear it. So I could hear it. "You're supposed to kick to that ball, not get kicked your ass by it." His racist remark received a great wave of encouraging shouts and laughter from his teammates. Idiots.

My face flooded with anger. If I could, I would... punch him. A way harder than I did the last time. He already had a friend to share a place with at the infirmary.

However, I knew that I shouldn't attract unwanted attention to myself. I needed to get out of here as soon as possible, without anyone stopping me. I couldn't afford to take the risk and make a stop at the headmistress' office.

The time on my phone gave me a hint it was the right time to run away. Quickly and discreetly, I had disappeared from the benches and headed for the unused garage under the athletes' locker room. I was halfway there when I heard a group of people chanting Otto's name behind me. It came out of the game field. I smirked. I didn't know what was going on, but I was sure Otto was giving those assholes what they deserve.

Even though I was in hurry, I walked slowly, letting my thoughts eat me alive. The possible scenarios of what might happen were creating a giant uneasiness. What if somehow Leo comes for me? He must have noticed I disappeared from the field. And he'll definitely be interested in where I went.

A few more steps and I was where I wanted to be. I looked through the windshield of the car I've "borrowed", trying to ignore the shivers passing my body.

A familiar voice behind me surprised me, and for a second, I forgot how to breathe.

"Are you going somewhere?" How was it possible that everyone could get to me so easily? There was always someone one step ahead of me. When did I stop being vigilant? Now the face I was looking at was friendly, with no sign of a desire to hurt me, but what if next time it'll be someone bad, someone, who has kidnapped my mother, or someone trying to kill me?

I stopped the questions in my head by saying out loud the one that interested me the most.

"Otto, what are you doing here?" I gasped.

"The right question is – what are YOU doing here?" A friend stared into my eyes, examining every movement of my mimic muscle thoroughly. He knew. He knew I was about to abandon him.

"The training is almost over, so I'm leaving," I lied.

"You're leaving? For how long?" he demanded another answer, with a fighting tone.

"I'm just going..." I tried to come up with a plausible excuse for leaving him behind.

"Where? You have nowhere to go, Ria. Your home is no longer safe, and you know it. That's why you're not going back there. You're going to look for your mom, aren't you?" This time I wasn't surprised that he found out my plans. He was the cleverest person I've ever met, after all.

The tense features of his face softened. He didn't look angry but disappointed, and that hurt me even more. What now?

"I don't want you to-"

"To go with you? I gave you all the necessary information about Mine, and now you're going to leave me out of it?" His words stabbed into my mind like a sharp copy.

"I'm doing what's best for you," I continued, convinced that my opinion was right.

"No," he protested aggressively, "you do what you think is right." My friend gave me a short time to think, then asked: "Why?"

"Because I have to. The place I'm going to won't be a cakewalk. I don't want anything bad to happen to you," I said hesitantly. Same excuses over and over again. I began to feel that with each 'I don't want anything to happen to you', this sentence was losing its meaning. It was nothing but empty words.

"What if something happens to you?" His intense gaze didn't let me escape.

"Nothing's gonna happen to me," I said as my gut twisted inside.

"Are you sure?" I've wanted to say that I was not sure about anything, but my words stuck in my tightened throat. "Can you promise me you'll come back alive, and okay?" he begged me with his eyes, and I've got a feeling he would go as far as getting on his knees if that meant he'll convince me.

"You know very well that I cannot make such a promise to you, Otto," I replied with disappointment in myself. I longed so much that I could give him what his good heart desired.

I looked at my miserable friend, waiting for him to react. I thought he would scold me or, at worst, give me an ultimatum – either I stop doing shitty decisions and stay with him, or leave, and our friendship will end.

His answer surprised me.

"Then put the gun bag back and make room for me," he said firmly, walking toward the car. "I'm going with you, either you like it or not." I watched in disbelief as he slid past me with an unyielding look on his face, his lips clenched in a thin line. "Shouldn't you be the one jumping in all the danger first?" he asked, tapping his finger on the glass of the passenger's window.

Somehow, I managed to get over this shocking turn of the situation and unlocked the car. It's not a good idea. He can't come with me.

Otto didn't give me a choice. Before I could start a protest again, he had already settled in Leo's BMW and waited for us to leave. I could tell he was more nervous than he was before the football training. I didn't even wonder.

For the first time, Otto's presence made me feel weird. I played awkwardly with the keys, which now became my support. I told myself it would be best if I got in and then tried to think about what I'll do next. If necessary, I'll force him out of the car. Or... I don't know. How else am I supposed to let Otto know I disagree? What if someone really hurts him?

The picture of David holding Otto under his neck flashed before my eyes. As I watched my friend squirm in a painful spasm caused by my nemesis' hand, I was again experiencing all the terror and despair. Is this really what I want to happen? What does he want to happen?

"Otto," I muttered, trying to come up with a good argument.

"Leo," Otto grumbled back, and I raised my head in surprise, letting go of the cold metal keys.

"Leo," I repeated as soon as I understood.