𝟔𝟓 | 𝐦𝐨𝐦𝐞𝐧𝐭 𝐨𝐟 𝐰𝐞𝐚𝐤𝐧𝐞𝐬𝐬

I was awakened by the rays of the sun breaking through the blinds. They warmed me pleasantly and tickled my face. I rubbed my eyes. I was, as usual, in a motel. I sat down on the old mattress and strained my ears. Not even a soul. I exhaled. Just as well. I wasn't in the mood to have any conversation. And I didn't want to talk about what happened at all.

I grabbed my head. It pulsed as if someone had put pins and needles into me. And I'm not even talking about lung pain. They burned extremely. Every single breath was suffering for me.

I quickly reached for a glass of water that had been placed on the kitchen counter. I drank it at once and poured myself another. I sipped it more slowly, enjoying every single sip like it was a rare drink.

I decided on a short shower. I couldn't be happier when I took off an uncomfortable dance costume. I left it thrown on the ground and went into the shower under the hot water. Water drops ran down my stiff muscles. I slid my hands over my aching body and gave it the rest it had been asking for so much. I finally felt relieved. This is exactly what I needed.

When I was sure I had washed away all the dirt and blood, I tucked myself in the towel, brushed my teeth, and left the bathroom. Nothing has changed inside. They were all gone. They probably went to visit Andrea at the hospital.

I dressed in the clothes that someone had washed for me. They smelled of lavender washing powder. The smell was soothing.

I needed to get some air. I took an apple from the table, the keys to the apartment, and went out into the street. I walked down the sidewalk in black pants and a black hoodie, pretending I didn't exist. I didn't know where I was going, but the goal itself was not important to me. I just had to blow off steam. Not thinking about anything. At least for a while.

I walked around the whole motel and judged that its exterior was as terrible as the interior. But I didn't complain. For such a price, it was more than useful to us.

I almost returned inside, but then the side alley caught my attention. There was a ladder that led to the elevated ledge of the building. Great.

I went upstairs and sat facing the city. I leaned my back against the metal railing. I threw apple core in a large trash can a few feet behind me.

In front of me were several tall skyscrapers and lower buildings, creating a perfect cityscape. I watched people in movement, living ordinary lives, rushing God knows where. I couldn't imagine what it was like. I haven't done anything normal for a long time. I wasn't sure if after this "adventure" I could return to what was before. If I can save my mother and we can both return home healthy, will it all be the same as before? Will I go to school again and pretend to be like everyone else? Will I silently follow Lucifer's orders again? Burying human bodies in the forest?

Or will everything change from scratch?

I was so intensely consumed by my imagination that I didn't even notice Leo, who had found me in the meantime, and leaned one foot on the stairs from my secret hideout.

„So here you are," he said. I shook my thoughts of what was and what would be and returned to what is now. During that time, the sun managed to go behind the clouds. Everything around fell into the gloom. Only Leo's cat eyes glowed, examining me mesmerizingly. I told myself I'd do better if I stopped looking at him. I decided to focus on the light in the distance coming from some office. „I've been looking for you everywhere," he said stiffly. I shrugged my shoulders.

„As you can see, I haven't been by absorbed by a black hole yet," I muttered. Leo moved toward me and sat right next to him. Our shoulders touched lightly.

„What the hell did you think you were doing?" He went straight to things I didn't want to discuss. And he knew it. But he still ignored it and was a law unto himself.