𝟔𝟖 | 𝐬𝐨𝐦𝐞𝐭𝐢𝐦𝐞𝐬 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐰𝐢𝐧

„What is it?" I asked Leo when we arrived at the motel. I found him sitting in the kitchen at the table. He had a cup of coffee and a laptop in front of him. I noticed that there was a recording on my father's key drive. When he realized I was looking at the screen, he slammed it shut.

„I don't know," he shrugged, „I found it at the door. It had your name on it." Oh. Again. I bet it's from White.

I examined the black package decorated with a white bow. I ran my fingers through the soft wrapper and read the card that came with it.

Dear Ria O'Donnell,

Please accept this little offering from me.

I look forward to meeting you.

C. W.

So, it's really from him. That asshole is playing with me. He invites me to the ball first and now sends me gifts?

I pressed my lips tightly and pulled on the white silk. With Leo looking over my shoulder, I felt much more nervous. What could it be? Tension and curiosity consumed me inside like a parasite.

„You can't be serious," Leo commented, shaking his head in disbelief. I was expecting everything. A bomb. Weapons. But a mask?

Well, of course. This is a masquerade ball.

I stared in amazement at the shiny object in my hands and looked at it from every side. I couldn't help noticing that there were two more masks behind a piece of paper, matching mine. So, did that mean that White also counts on Otto's and Leo's participation?

Leo raised his eyebrows doubtfully.

„Aren't you thinking about really putting it on?" He said with a question mark at the end.

„Why not? It's just a mask," I said. My companion snorted loudly, expressing disapproval. „What? Do you think there's some kind of eavesdropping device or something?" I guessed. I shook my head. „No. White doesn't need it. I'm going to his ball. I am coming to him on a plate. By myself. He expects me to listen to him. He doesn't have to be one step ahead if he's been at the finish line for a long time. And I know that too. My job is just to make sure there are two winners by the end of the evening," I said, putting the mask to my eyes. I realized that I wouldn't win this fight so easily. White has the information I need. I can't kill him before he tells them to me. And something deep in my soul whispered to me that this bird would be quiet and not want to sing. Therefore, I will have to arm myself with patience. Mom is my priority. White's final fall will follow later.

The car stopped in front of a large building where the ball was supposed to take place

The car stopped in front of a large building where the ball was supposed to take place. I could already see from the window that it was a luxury club, where mostly the men of means go. I was amazed to explore the tall Romanesque columns that added to the grandeur of this place. The white walls glowed between the gray and beige buildings all around, drawing attention to themselves in the dark of night. They were decorated with intricate patterns and engravings. The doors and windows were black and matched the main gate and street lights throughout the complex. I knew it would be as beautiful inside as it was outside.