The gatekeeper

Seven years ago

Katie's POV

It was one of those blistering hot Australian summer days where even with factor 50, there was a good chance we would end the day with a slightly pink nose and cheeks.

Noah and I were listening to a playlist of summer hits he had compiled while he kicked around a footy in the sand and I admired the view. Him, not the impossibly turquoise water.

He was 15 and drop dead gorgeous. His six pack was glistening in the glaring sun and I was thankful for my sunnies because I was shamelessly ogling him.

We were both tanned from a long summer of lazy beach days just like this one.

There was not a cloud in the sky. I looked to my right at the large crowd of beach goers in the far distance.

"Hey Noah, let's go join our friends," I suggested hopefully.

Noah had become increasingly broody this summer. Unlike previous years, he usually ditched his friends and revolving door of girlfriends to hang out with me.

"Nah, I'm good," he replied, shielding his eyes as he scanned the summer revelry happening in the distance.

"You're such a bore," I moaned. "School starts tomorrow and Mia invited us to hang out. They are having a bonfire later," I tried making it sound as enticing as possible.

He walked over to me then, crouching down and treating me to that broody stare I had actually grown to love, which was probably not the effect he was going for.

"There will be older guys there KitKat, all my mates are going, I don't think your dad would be happy," he explained.

"Argh, I am not a child anymore Noah, I'm almost 13!" I furrowed my brows but he probably couldn't see beneath my oversized sunglasses.

"I noticed," he said in a frustrated toned, briskly looking down at the newfound curves my swimsuit couldn't hide, no matter how modest it was.

I self-consciously wrapped my arms across my chest. Funny how I had so desperately wished for boobs and now that I had something, however humble that something was, I was suddenly embarrassed and hiding them under baggy tops.

While I had graduated from the childish frilly one pieces, my dad drew the line at bikinis. He was so strict! Between him and Noah, I felt completely suffocated.

The only other person my dad trusted me to spend time with was my best friend Mia and only at her house. I had known her since kindergarten and conveniently, our dads worked together so it was easy for him to keep tabs on me there.

Mia was allowed to go to social gatherings and hang out at the pier with our group of friends from school and increasingly, I felt like I was missing out.

"Please Noah! I will be a social piranha in high school if I don't go. There will be new kids and everyone will know them except me," I whined.

"Please," I gave him my best pout and he looked away frustrated.

My dad told me I could only go to big gatherings if Noah escorted me, like it was the 1920's or something.

He raked his hand through his messy chestnut locks, slightly lightened by the sun, and looked towards the shore.

"There was a time my company was enough KitKat," he brooded.

"And it still is! I have spent all summer with you! But it's not like you haven't partied all summer too. Mia told me she sees you out with a different girl each time," I tried to conceal the jealousy from my voice.