The rejection

Three years ago
Katie's POV

I had been around Noah's house every day since my breakdown a week ago.

We didn't talk, he mainly just held me during my frequent bouts of crying. He cried too but maintained his composure as the tears fell.

We watched TV in silence. He didn't ask me for details, he didn't even ask me to discuss my feelings. I was waiting for Noah to talk to me, to tell me everything was going to be ok, to rescue me from this dark place I was trapped in but it felt like he was in a dark place of his own.

"Noah, if you don't want me to come here anymore, just tell me," I said without meeting his gaze, my eyes glued to the TV although I wouldn't have a clue about what we were actually watching.

Silence.

"Are we over?" I had to know. I couldn't take this anymore.

Noah sighed and muted the TV. "Do you want us to be over?" He asked flatly.

"No, I don't," my lips trembled as I searched his face but his eyes were fixed on the screen.

"Well then, we're not over," he said without inflection. He turned the volume back up and continued watching the TV.

"Are you angry at me?" I finally asked.

"No."

Well I guess that conversation was over. I got up and left without saying goodbye.

When I got home, I texted Liam.

Want to go for a walk?

A reply came through within minutes.

Be there in 10 x

We hadn't spoke since our walk last week. Dad said he had come around every day but I was holed up in Noah's room.

We were walking the same path when Liam finally spoke.

"Your dad tells me you've been hanging out with Noah again," I knew him well enough to detect the disapproval in his voice.

"I'm sorry about last week Liam. You were right, everything you said was right," I decided to dodge the topic of Noah.

He let out a heavy breath and ran a hand through his hair in frustration.

"You have nothing to be sorry about Katie, when are you going to get that?"

We continued walking but I sensed there were things Liam was desperate to get off his chest. To be honest, there were things I wanted to say too.

"I think Noah doesn't love me anymore," I finally blurted out.

Liam stopped and looked at me.

"What would make you think that Katie?"

I hesitated. I was afraid to say the words out loud because then they would be out in the universe and I couldn't pretend it wasn't true anymore.

"Because he can barely look at me. He looks so angry at me all the time. I was meant to belong to him and now someone else has touched me and I think he hates me for letting it happen," my voice cracked and I began sobbing, covering my eyes with all the shame I felt.

Liam wrapped his arms around me and gently caressed my hair as I cried. I felt so much warmth in his touch and it only amplified the lack of feeling from Noah.

When my tears eventually stopped, he spoke and the sincerity in his voice made me yearn for my Noah. I wanted my protector back.

"He doesn't hate you Katie, he could never hate you. And he doesn't blame you for what happened, he blames himself and he is too wrapped up in his own self-pity to see straight right now. Give him time," Liam said gently, his eyes glassy as he gave me an encouraging smile.