The bombshell

Five years ago

Katie's POV

At first I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me. Surely that couldn't be Noah stalking towards us? I giggled as he morphed into two really angry Noahs. Four shoulders squared and four fists clenched.

When he reached us, his beautiful face was contorted with rage. His eyebrows were drawn and his lips were set in a thin line.

He yanked Liam up by his shirt and shoved him hard against the wall, not bothering to even look at him as he did it. His narrowed eyes were fixed on mine.

He offered me his hand but still didn't utter a word. Liam squared up to him.

"She is not going anywhere with you, right Katie?" his tone was measured but the tension in his arms and fists revealed he was ready for a fight.

I stood to break them apart but getting up too quickly made me dizzy and I swayed. Noah caught me by the waist, his grip was firm as he held me in place. Finally he looked at Liam, his top lip curled up.

"You're a real man aren't you? Plying a girl with alcohol so you can get lucky." He shook his head and started leading me out of the room, his arm still wrapped possessively around my waist.

I turned my head and mouthed sorry at Liam as I was being dragged away.

"Why don't you ask Katie what she wants," Liam challenged.

"When she is clearly intoxicated, yeah great idea asshole," Noah shot back through clenched teeth, not bothering to turn around or stop.

"You have no idea what went on tonight. I stopped her from drinking any more when she arrived at the party. If anyone is to blame for the state she is in, it's you!" He hissed.

Noah stopped but didn't turn around, his jaw was twitching and the arm he held around me tensed.

"She was already wasted when she got here and it was all because she had to hear about yet another girl you're banging while she hangs around and waits for you to get your shit together. You don't deserve her," he growled.

At that Noah stopped. His forehead creased as he looked down at me, the straight line of his mouth transformed into a frown. He finally released his grip on my waist and turned to face Liam.

"Tell me I didn't interrupt something when I walked in. Tell me you weren't about to make a move on an innocent girl you knew was vulnerable and drunk." When Liam remained silent Noah scoffed at him and looked down at me.

"Katie, can you come with me please?" He asked stiffly.

I peered up at Liam who was staring at me and ever so subtly shaking his head, his eyes imploring me to stay.

I knew he wanted me to stand up to Noah, I knew he wanted me to tell him to get lost. But I couldn't. I would choose Noah. Always.

As long as there was even just a glimmer of hope we would be together one day, I would be his. And one day I could only hope Liam loved someone enough to understand.

"I have never liked you Murphy, but I seriously didn't think it would ever be you I needed to rescue Katie from. I thought you had more class than that," Noah shook his head at Liam, who was still watching me.

"He didn't do anything! This was all my idea,"
I shouted at Noah, but he dismissed my slurred words by tightening his hold around my waist and leading me out of the room.

All eyes were on us as we walked out of Harrison's house and towards Noah's Jeep. Nothing like a healthy dose of humiliation to sober you up, I thought miserably.