Whole again

Lucas' POV

Katie and I had been inseparable in the week since we were reunited at Low Quay bar.

The image of her walking in with Liam was still vivid in my mind. My heart dropped when I spotted them hand in hand and as if it wasn't painful enough, I tortured myself by continuing to watch her.

It hadn't taken them long to find a quiet corner to chat intimately. She was a vision in blue and he was looking at her the way I was - like no one else in the room existed.

She looked over at me and I quickly looked away. I must have looked like a stalker watching her from across the room but I reminded myself that she was the one who had walked into the bar I always came to on a Friday night with the footy boys.

"I know you love her man but it's over, stop torturing yourself," Garrett had said, giving me a supportive pat on the back while Chelsea watched me sympathetically.

Liam knew we would be here tonight, he was clearly trying to flaunt her in front of me, asshole. I stole another look at her, I couldn't help myself, and I saw her reach up and kiss his cheek before walking away in the direction of the restroom.

As she was self-consciously walking through the crowd, I noticed some drunken douchebag grabbing her from behind. I immediately abandoned my beer and rushed through the crowd to rescue her. When I reached her, she was as still as a statue as the sleazy fucker slid his hands up towards her breasts.

Blood rushed to my head. I saw red as I yanked him off her and shoved him to the floor. She hadn't moved an inch, her tiny shoulders were tensed up and her small hands were fisted into tiny balls at her side. The sight of her looking so fragile tugged at my heart.

I asked her to look at me and she slowly opened her eyes but the rest of her remained frozen. Liam came rushing over and I was gearing up to thump him when he told me he had sent her to me.

He effortlessly took her into his arms and I saw the tension leave her tiny frame as she melted into his hold. I was still reeling from what had just happened when Liam told me to take her out of the bar with the threat of coming for me if I ever hurt her. He had nothing to worry about, I would do everything in my power to make Katie happy.

We had spent the last week in her apartment or mine, making out, cuddling, and completely wrapped up in each other's company. I had blissfully lost touch with the outside world and if I wasn't at uni or studying and she wasn't working, we were with each other.

But today I wanted to venture out. My mate said I could take out his speed boat and I wanted to take her to Carnac Island. It was a quick cruise off the coast and very private. The waters were impossibly clear and it was one of my favourite spots to swim and snorkel.

I was well aware she didn't like the beach but I was hoping I could change her mind today. Besides, we would mainly be on the boat and in the water and not really on the sandy shores she apparently despised.

I rung the buzzer to her apartment and she was quick to let me up. It was one of the things I loved about her. There was no pretence or playing it cool with her. She was the most sincere girl I had ever met.

When she answered her door, I was greeted with the stunning smile that prompted Liam to set her free. It was a smile worth sacrificing your own happiness for and it was on her face because of me. I felt both proud and humbled by that thought.

"Morning beautiful," I winked and pulled her into my arms for a hug. She smelt delicious - an intoxicating mix of floral and citrus that I wanted to breathe in forever.

"So what have you got planned that couldn't be discussed over the phone?" she asked playfully as her sky blue eyes searched mine.

"I thought we could go to the beach," I said slowly and I saw her eyes cloud over and darken. The colour drained from her face.