viii. The Fourth Ghost

nine lives
chapter eight.

THE TABLE IN THE BRIDGE WAS NOW COVERED WITH MAPS OF ALL KINDS

THE TABLE IN THE BRIDGE WAS NOW COVERED WITH MAPS OF ALL KINDS. Maps of the base, the planet, the sun system and satellite pictures. Agnes looked them over in curiosity, trying to see what The Doctor saw when looking at them, as he was now explaining his discovery to the group. He made Bennett, O'Donnell and Clara hold up probs to visualise "the sword", referencing to the Orion's sword in the coordinates.

Because the words that the ghosts kept mouthing were coordinates, coordinates that were pointing towards earth and more specifically towards their location. The location of the ghosts. As they were just serving as transmitters to enhance the signal of the coordinates being sent out.

Agnes followed the conversation half-heartedly, as she already knew the big revelation of course or at least enough of it. With the signal being sent out...towards unknown forces, whether it was a distress call or a warning, they're purposely killing people to strengthen it. Which was really fucked up. Like why not use a radio or whatever?

There was only one part of the coordinates they hadn't covered yet, the final puzzle piece, which was supposed to reveal exactly where the ghosts are calling their backup to. Cass was the one to remember first, signing what they've all missed discussing yet. The Temple. Or in this case, since the base was located in a flooded town, a church.

The Doctor leant over the map displaying satellite pictures of the town before it was flooded, suddenly standing next to Agnes (when did that happen?) and pointed at the building in question.

"Whatever the coordinates are for, it's in that church. Find that and you're a hop, skip and jump to stopping them." He glanced around the room, Agnes purposely avoided his eyes, and the rest of the people present stayed silent at first, having to process what The Doctor was suggesting.

Bennett was the first who seemed to understand, raising his hand to stop the Doctor from continuing as he collected his thoughts. "Wait, you're not suggesting that-? But we're safe now! The ghosts are in the cage. We can get out of here." He looked around at his crew, waiting for them to agree, but they all stayed quiet.

"No one has to stay. In fact, I would prefer it if you went. You'll all get in the way and ask ridiculous questions. But, you know," he motioned towards Cass, Lunn and O'Donnell, "you have chosen to protect and serve."

"You," he motioned towards Bennett now, "have given yourself to science and the pursuit of knowledge. None of you have chosen anonymous or selfish lives. Go, and a part of you will always wonder, what would have happened if I'd stayed? How could I have helped? What would I have learned? I want you to go. But you should know what it is that you're leaving."

Agnes couldn't keep the small smile from her face. The Doctor was always so good at giving speeches and he fucking knew it. Meeting Clara's eyes, who were sparkling with mirth as she grinned at Agnes, she knew that the brunette was aware of it as well. It wasn't really witchcraft to notice. How easily he could draw people in, make them curious, make them hesitate. And it worked well. She could see it in their eyes.