xii. Poisonous Air

nine lives.
chapter twelve

THE DRIVE BACK FELT A LOT SHORTER THAN IT HAD WHEN THEY HAD LEFT FOR RATTIGAN ACADEMY

It surprised Agnes because the atmosphere has become heavy with tension and she'd expected the nagging feeling in her chest to make time appear more drawn out. Instead, it had somehow helped speed it up.

Agnes' eyes kept darting towards the Doctor, his face set in a deep frown, eyebrows scrunched up. It was a familiar look on him, not only this face but also his other ones. Agnes has seen it more than once while travelling with the man.

He must be worrying about Martha...

Or maybe it was her he worried about as he did so often.

The car ride was spent in silence, even Donna, who was looking outside the window and watching the landscape pass by, was gnawing at her lip instead.

Agnes really didn't like this tension at all.

After a considerable passage of time, the car slowed and they were waved through a gate at the entrance of the UNIT quarters by the patrolling soldiers. As soon as they were inside the perimeters Jenkins stopped the car and Agnes was nudged forward as Donna opened the door and The Doctor hurried her to follow outside.

The air was thick with white smoke, the smell of the gas burning her lungs. She coughed as a hand on her back urged her to continue walking. Donna looked back at her, face scrunched up in disgust and eyes narrowed.

Yeah, her eyes started to burn as well...

When they reached another gate, this one leading directly to the entrance of the industrial hall, they stopped. Agnes looked towards the UNIT guards standing a few feet away, waiting for The Doctor to pull her towards them, but Donna's cough pulled her out of her thoughts.

"The air is disgusting," the redhead stated, hand swatting at the air without success.

The burn in Agnes' lungs intensified, the bitter smell of the gas the only thing they could breathe in. The Doctor glanced towards Agnes, eyes narrowing in concern when he saw her scrunched up face and he gave a nod towards Donna.

"It's not so bad for me. Go on, get inside the Tardis." He waved them off and Agnes hesitated. "Oh, I've never given you a key. Keep that. Go on, that's yours. Quite a big moment really!"

His voice had picked up, was cheerier, too. Agnes and Donna gave him a sceptical look. The woman still took the key with a half-smile, although the cough forcing its way out of her throat did manage to ruin the little moment.

"Yeah, maybe we can get sentimental after the world's finished choking to death."

Agnes snorted. How poetic.

"Good idea."

The Doctor nodded curtly, gave Agnes' shoulder one last squeeze before he turned to run off. Towards the guards at the entrance of the industrial hall. Agnes bit her tongue before she could call after him but luckily Donna wasn't so shy.