vi. Rules of Travel

nine lives
chapter six.

WHEN AGNES WOKE UP IT WAS DARK

WHEN AGNES WOKE UP IT WAS DARK. She didn't think much of it, it must still be early and the sun hasn't risen yet. Turning around in her bed, she snuggled her face into one of the pillows on her bed, deciding she could catch a few more hours of sleep. The friction of her trousers made her stop in her motion. Why was she sleeping in her jeans?

Agnes sat up, reaching out her hand to feel the material and yes, definitely jeans. Hadn't she worn a skirt when she went to bed? This was weird.

A dim light lit up from above her and now Agnes could see that she wasn't in her room. It took her a second to clear her head, blinking into the dimness. Then she remembered the events of the last day. She was not at home. She was in the Tardis. More specifically, in her room in the Tardis. Agnes sighed.

This wasn't a dream then, was it?

A soft metallic humming lulled through the air. Probably the Tardis agreeing with her. Right, she was telepathic.

For some odd reason, that realization didn't surprise her the least because now she was stuck in a place where telepathy was just a common thing. Fuck, this was so weird.

Agnes let herself fall back into the pillows and stared at the ceiling above her and the night sky that was painted on it, trying to sort her thoughts and make sense of what had happened the day before. She didn't remember falling asleep. She quite specifically remembered she had been keen on staying awake instead until Amy, Rory and the Doctor came back so she had a chance to give him a piece of her mind. But then she had gotten incredibly tired after minutes turned into hours and she had decided to curl up in the jumping chair and just close her eyes for a few more minutes...

Of course, she'd fallen asleep, stupid human body and its stupid limitations. Still, the question of how she got from the jumping chair to her room was open. Well...there was one possible explanation for it.

"The Doctor didn't carry me to bed, did he?" Agnes asked into the room, the question meant for the Tardis.

The ship made a chirping sound which told the girl that that was exactly what had happened.

She groaned. Why couldn't he have just let her break her back? Then she could have blamed it on him and continue to be mad. But no, the Doctor had to be a thoughtful and sweet person. Bloody idiot.

After Agnes continued to lie in bed and curse the Doctor for a while, she noticed the ache in her stomach that told her she needed something to bite. Right, she hadn't eaten since that dinner she was at with her dad, before she woke up in the cave. It had been at least a day...or two? The dissociation had distorted her perception of time...

"Can you bring me to the kitchen?" she asked and the ship made a sound in agreement.

So Agnes rolled out of bed, not without grunting inelegantly and left her room, leaving it to the Tardis to guide her to where she could relieve her hunger. And the kitchen was surprisingly close to her room. Although the girl had dragged her feet across the floor in such a slow manner that even the Tardis was getting impatient, she arrived after only two turns.