ii. The Maze Of The Dead

nine lives
chapter two.

(content warning: description of dissociation)

HOW AGNES COULD HAVE FORGOTTEN THE BIG PLOT TWIST OF THE EPISODE WAS BEYOND HER, after all she's watched it enough times to fill her mind with enough material for a dozen nightmares. (She didn't know her limits, alright...)

Now it was no surprise she felt this icky around those weird statues, when it was really a hundred weeping angels hiding in plain sight.

The thought alone made her want to turn back and run, somewhere, anywhere, just far away from this situation and she had to push the panic down to not turn into a frightened mess.

Luckily having to climb up three flights of stairs was a little bit of a distraction. The pain in her legs and her aching lungs helped push back the panicked thoughts and replace them with pleads for death (as dramatic as that may sound).

Why in the hell climbing stairs was just as exhausting in dreams as it was in real life now, Agnes couldn't fathom. Usually that was one of her favourite parts of dreaming, just jumping stairs up and down like it was nothing. Floating around like she weighed nothing at all and gravity was just an illusion.

But now having to climb all the steps on their way up to the maze of the dead...that might be her true death sentence.

Luckily, the teenager wasn't the only one who shared that sentiment. Amy, too, was panting heavily at Agnes' side, her eyes rolling back into her head, both out of exhaustion and annoyance... Agnes never related more to another person in her whole life.

"Are we there yet? It's a hell of a climb!" the ginger groaned and Agnes nodded in agreement.

"Yeah, what she said!"

The Doctor and River, who were walking ahead of the two girls, basically mocking them with their athleticism, only turned to glance back at them swiftly.

"The Maze is on six levels, representing the ascent of the soul." River told them for some reason, as if that was supposed to make them feel better. Admiring the spiritual aspect of it was supposed to help?

"I only feel my soul descending but okay," Agnes muttered, earning a laugh from Amy.

"Only two levels to go," River encouraged them, sending a smile their way.

The Doctor seemed to be really busy with examining every single piece of the walls with his torch, not really paying any attention to Amy and Agnes' lack of stamina. It wasn't really necessary anyway as Agnes was sure all she would receive was some cheeky remark.

"What are you dressed so fancy for, anyway?" Amy asked, falling in step with Agnes, who had fallen back

a little.

Agnes shrugged but grinned.

"What, can't I make an effort once in a while?"

Amy laughed, connecting their arms. Agnes thought this was nice, chatting with Amy Pond like they were old friends. She had always liked her as a companion, maybe a little selfish and insensitive of Rory in the beginning, but just as quick-witted and bold, which she liked as she was the same.